Be more empathetic towards minimum wage employees

Be More Empathetic Towards Minimum-Wage Employees

Everyone is just trying to get that bread and get home.

13
Kelly Harraka

I was rarely someone who gave others the benefit of the doubt. If they messed up, that was on them. But I've come to realize that everyone is just a person, and, people tend to make mistakes.

When I was younger and would go to a store, I thought that every employee was an expert in their field and lived to work for their company. I thought by asking an employee for help I was asking the source of all knowledge. It turns out, that's not exactly the case. All employees are just people trying to make money, go home, and work toward their vacation much like the rest of us. Now, whenever I go to a store I always try to be as polite as I possibly can. Minimum wage employees deal with low pay, annoying customers, and long hours. I feel like asking the cashier how their day is going after waiting in line for 20 minutes is the least I could do. I mean I'm getting to leave the store, they have to stay and deal with more people.

I also became a lot more patient when going to a restaurant. There were times when I would go out to dinner with friends and the restaurant would be packed. But, half of their tables weren't being used. I would grow irritated after 30 minutes wondering why they couldn't seat us at the tables not being occupied? After working in food, I realized that restaurants have to close sections off as the night goes on the ensure less work once they close. If all tables were used until the restaurant closed, the staff would be there for hours trying to clean everything. By closing off sections, the work is divided over the last couple hours of them being open.

My cousin works as a waitress. I asked her about her job experience and she says every day she encounters someone who doesn't tip. Some people aren't aware that waitresses make between $2-5 by their employer. This means that any tips they receive aren't seen as extra money, but their actual salary. They rely on tips and by not putting a couple bucks on the table after a $40 dollar meal, you are saying you don't care.

Most of us work minimum wage jobs in high school or college and if we don't, we know someone who does. So, when we go out we should remember that it could easily be us mixing up Starbucks drink orders or forgetting ketchup in the bag at McDonald's. Instead of raising your voice to complain or asking to speak to the manager after your burger comes with Swiss cheese and not American, take into consideration that people are flawed and we all make mistakes. Be patient when in line and always tip your waitresses.