A Number On The Scale Does Not Define You Now, Or Ever

Ladies, let's stop allowing a number determine our happiness.

317

OK, let's get real for a second. My mood can change in literally two seconds just from stepping on the scale. Did the number go up or down? I'm so sick of a simple three-digit number dictating whether I have a good day or not. If I don't see the number on the scale go down, I feel extremely discouraged and lose every ounce of confidence. Why is a number on a scale so damn important in this generation? Who even cares what your weight is? If you are healthy and content, why would you possibly allow a number impact your day so much?

My weight constantly fluctuates and the more I weigh myself, the more unhappy I become. If we would just throw away the scales, maybe peoples' outlooks on life would become much more positive. Sometimes I wake up with a flat stomach and feel so confident when I look in the mirror, so I decide to step on the scale. The second I see my weight go up, my mood flips like a light switch. It can be so discouraging to not see results on the scale.

People need to remember that the scale is not the end-all-be-all. We truly need to stop using the scale to track our success from the the the appropriate diet and exercise. How you feel is far more significant than what the number says. How do your clothes fit? Do you see a difference in your progress photos? Do you have more energy? Do you sleep better? Do you have less stomach pain?

I feel so passionate about this because I know how hard struggling with weight is. For some people, like myself, it feels like an ongoing battle that seems like something we will struggle with our entire lives. No, absolutely not; we can make a change. Something I wish I knew earlier is that if your weight affects how your friends or significant other act towards you, CUT THEM OUT OF YOUR LIFE. We must surround ourselves with people who uplift us and make us see the light in every situation, for me, that's my mom. She is my rock and my entire support system. If you are lucky enough to have a strong support system behind you, truly anything is possible.

In the end, we are in charge of our own happiness. We have control over if we have a good day or a bad day. It all comes down to your perception of life. Remind yourself to look at the positive of every situation, never the negative. Will you choose to make the best out of every situation and take control of your life or will you let society determine your outlook on life?