7 Ways You Can Be Lazy And Still Be A Style Legend

How to dress to impress in under 5 minutes every morning.

226
Sara Thompson

When I came to college, I made a vow to myself: I would never wear a t-shirt to class! I get it; sometimes it is so hard to roll out of bed and try to put a halfway decent outfit together, and it is much easier to throw on a baggy tee and leggings to just get out the door without looking your best. But looking good doesn't have to be difficult, and starting off your day knowing that you look like a boss is a great confidence booster. Here are 7 strategies that I use to get dressed stylishly and efficiently every morning.

1. Plan your outfit the night before.

We've all had those mornings where we groggily peruse the closet and either give up on dressing nicely or waste precious minutes before class deciding and trying on different pieces in order to get a good look for the day. Picking out an outfit the night before minimizes the effects of the early morning brain fog and allows you to take your time in your clothing decisions without being late for school or sacrificing breakfast.

2. Check the weather.

It is important to know what the weather is going to look like in order to prepare for it. I like The Weather Channel app, which allows users to check the weather in hourly increments, making it easy to plan an outfit that will be comfortable throughout the entirety of the day. If the morning is going to be chilly, but it plans to heat up during the afternoon, you may want to wear something short sleeved with a removable layer of warmth. And of course, you want to make sure that the forecast is not calling for rain if you're going to bust out those new suede shoes!

3. Think about your activities that day.

If you are going to be wearing a book bag, you may not want to wear a skirt or dress that will ride up in the back, or at least wear shorts just in case; it is rarely worth it to wear something that you have awkwardly adjust and worry about all day. Also, prepare for any classroom temperatures that are different than outside.

4. Pick one item to be the foundation of your outfit.

It can be overwhelming to consider each piece within your closet and to coordinate multiple items at a time; try picking one garment that you have not worn recently and that you feel confident in to be the centerpiece, and then build the rest of your look around that. This streamlined and simplified process should speed up your decision making and ensure a coordinating look no matter what your personal style is.

5. You have your look, now try it on.

You will never truly know if something works unless you put it to the test, so make sure that everything is proportionate and goes well together by trying on your outfit, including undergarments and jewelry. It is crucial that this step is done the night before you intend to wear the outfit to ensure that your morning routine proceeds smoothly; it is much easier to change things out beforehand as opposed to the morning of.

6. Take a picture for your "outfits" album!

If you have not done so, make an "outfits" album! This is a great way to keep track of all the spectacular looks that you have put together, and it is especially handy when you don't have time to create a new outfit but you need to look put together. There are several apps to help you organize and create outfits, such as the Stylebook and Closet apps, but I find it easiest to is make a new album in the standard iPhone Photos.

7. You're done!

Make sure to hang or lay out your look so that the pieces don't become wrinkled and are all in one place. Now when you wake up, all you have to do is throw on your fabulous look and walk out the door like the stylish person you are!