15 Basic Fall Activities To Spice Up Your Fall, Even When You Hate Pumpkin Spice
Fall

Sorry not sorry for disliking it.

85

I'm such a basic white girl, but when it comes to pumpkin spice, it's a no from me. I will never understand why everyone waits year round for this "amazing" fall scent and flavor that consumes our lives from September 1 all the way to the beginning of gingerbread houses and peppermint lattes season. Home decor, cookies, graphic tee slogans, coffee, candles — you name it. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love fall; it's actually my favorite season, but there's so much more to it than pumpkin spice.

1. College football

Miami University Marching Band

Honestly, if you don't get excited about football season, we can't be friends. Even if you don't have a favorite team, you can still go out and support your local university.

2. Make popcorn balls

kinwart//Flickr

Popcorn is a staple snack, and caramel just makes it even better.

3. Corn mazes

Massachusetts Office of Travel & Tourism

Corn mazes are actually pretty chill, but I really love seeing aerial photos of them.

4. Apple cider

Wikimedia

There are so many ways to enjoy this. There's original, spiced apple cider and apple cider slushies (my personal favorite) just to name a few. You can find it at the store, check out a farmers market or even make your own.

5. Go to an amusement park

@kingsislandpr / Instagram

It's never too early to start planning for Halloween! Opening night is September 21 for Halloween Haunt at Kings Island, and it runs on the weekends until October 28.

6. Make your own Halloween candy

Cotton candy, chocolate, hard candies, you name it.

7. Decorate pumpkins

Michel Rathwell / Flickr

The pumpkins don't even have to be real, although choosing the pumpkin is half the fun, especially if you're going to carve it. You can also buy a fake one at a craft store and decorate it for indoors, which to me sounds more fun anyway.

8. Go apple picking

As far as fall activities go, this is about as basic as you can get.

9. Make caramel apples

Wikimedia

Caramel is wonderful year-round, but fall is a perfect excuse to constantly use it in candies and in baking. Plus, you need to do *something* with all the apples you just picked.

10. Go for a hike

Faith Obringer

Check out your local nature preserve or find your own hidden gem on a road trip.

11. Take a road trip

Faith Obringer

It doesn't matter where you go; road trips with friends are always the best. Do not forget snacks, though. No road trip is complete without all of the snacks, and I do mean all of them.

12. Start testing pie recipes for Thanksgiving

Wikimedia

Do you really need a reason for making pies though?

13. Fall photo shoot

These can be so hype, and it's worth trying even if you aren't normally into this kind of thing. You can find fun places on campus, woods, your own backyard, streams, etc.

14. Go to a local farmers market or fall festival

Wikimedia

Local markets are so chill and definitely worth checking out. You never know what you might find.

15. Have a bonfire

Faith Obringer

Summer may be over, but that doesn't mean the bonfires have to stop. Grab some friends, blankets and s'mores ingredients, and you'll be set to go.

If you're someone who does like pumpkin spice, you do you and get yourself a latte. Just don't forget that there's so much more to the most wonderful time of the year than just this drink.