Bashing Your Least Favorite Politician Is Nothing But A Childish Waste Of Time

Maybe your words do not hurt them but it takes away their worth.

82
mean tweets paul ryan

Sure, the insults are something politicians should expect to receive when running for office, I mean their lives are public right? While it seems mindless that politicians should expect this, that doesn't have to make it the norm. When you break it down, they are human and are they really worth this hard form of judgment. When political talks surround physical attributes of a party member we are taking the conversation away from what is really important, their policies.

If we spend less time focusing on the color of one's skin, how they are not appealing or how they are too appealing we can focus on how they can or cannot help the community or the country as a whole.

These insults, besides being childish, also show how lazy we seem to be. We would rather sit around behind our screens and insult candidates on each side rather than looking for the good, or bad in the candidate. The conversation surrounding women politicians in the media is toxic and uniformed. It shows that it is A-OK to talk down to women like that and it can discourage young girls and women from going after something big, such as the presidency. Again the focus is not on their policies but everything else about them.

When it gets down to it, social media and popular news sources are toxic during campaign season. If you were to take that man or woman off of the stage you would never walk up to them on the street and tell them they should "go back to their country" instead of running for congress, or that they will never be able to work because of "that time of the month." These are humans who go home to their families, their friends, their pets and maybe your words do not hurt them but it takes away their worth.

So next time when you decide to weigh in on a political debate stay away from the shallow insults and bring in facts rather than a sour opinion. Think about how they are human, not some superhuman who is invincible to all, and respond accordingly. No matter the topic, make your conversation meaningful and let it contribute to the greater good.