Barbie Is Still Beautiful In Size Eight

Barbie Is Still Beautiful In Size Eight

One size DOES NOT fit all. What's not to get?

28
Barbie Is Still Beautiful In Size Eight

It's about time. Mattel, the toy company best known for Barbie, has finally woken up from a long daze and joined the world in 2016. Say goodbye to sharing clothes with every Barbie and hello to reality because from now on not every doll will be created the same.

Mattel announced the addition of petite, tall and curvy Barbies to join the original (or shall we say unrealistic?) shaped doll. The new additions are expected to be hitting stores in March and will be released in a variety of skin tones and eye colors, an initiative that began last year.

Like anything else, the Barbie makeover has generated mixed reactions and plenty of people have taken to Twitter to either rave or complain. The makeover has even led consumers to address more issues, such as unfair working wages for women, and how this type of makeover is necessary for male dolls.

Yes, everyone. You are right. There are plenty of problems that need to be acknowledged, not just by Barbie, but by society. But that does not discount this step in the right direction.

As an active member of Delta Phi Epsilon (and the female community in general), fighting body image issues is far-reaching and critical. DPhiE supports the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders, and with ANAD week coming up, I couldn't be more proud to see Barbie making a change.

81 percent of ten year olds are afraid of being fat. That is absolutely repulsive. Children shouldn't have worries, especially when it comes to their bodies. They should be playing, learning, and developing into who they are. But self image is such a toxic problem today, and it start at a much too young age. With the addition of new body types, beauty will no longer be represented as a single size.

At the end of the day, Barbie is just a plastic toy. Some people argue that changing a doll does not change the way we teach girls about self-esteem, but I have to disagree. All too often, seeing is believing. When children see magazine covers of photoshopped celebrities while they are in line with their mom at the grocery store, or they see weight loss commercials while they are watching television with their dad, they start to believe that this is how they should be, too. Barbie dolls have been an icon for children around the world for decades and when they see that Barbie is beautiful in all shapes, sizes, and colors, they will come to understand that they are beautiful, too.