Back to the Theaters

Back to the Theaters

The relevancy of theaters in the age of where swiping for a movie is replacing the ripping of a ticket.

212
Back to the Theaters

I get home after a busy day. What's the first thing I'm going to do? That's right. Take my shoes off… but after that? Well, I enjoy spending some time on one of my home's several entertainment devices. Apple TV, Amazon TV, etc. I find it so relaxing to go plop myself down onto the couch and scroll through and find something on the countless streaming services I have at the click of a button or swipe of a screen. The opportunity and variety of countless content is insane! On some weekends, however, I would usually slip on my shoes and venture off to a local theater chain to enjoy the latest thrilling tale of Captain America flinging his shield across the screen or a tie fighter attempting to shoot down the Millennium Falcon for the 90th time. These moments of going to the cinema for those types of movies are engrained experiences that still give me goosebumps. Early on, though, it was always this case at a theater. Hearing the rumbling sounds around me as gigantic figures glistened on a huge screen; it was enthralling, a rich experience, and not something I could enjoy at my own home like I could at a theater. Movies are a great past time and something I passionately enjoy. The right movie in the right setting can make or break the whole experience. That's why I'm selective to which movies I go to for theaters and why I often choose to stay at home for others. With the consumer experience changing with how we view movies, using myself as a personal testament, I'll ask this simple question for discussion: are movies worth putting in theaters, or should streaming take the ultimate lead?

Well, if you ask me, a single college guy, it's depending on a question. Am I willing to wait for this movie to come out online or do I need to be there on a Thursday night to see it? It's ultimately dependent on what you're going to see. Marvel is an excellent example of how my generation views the theater experience. It's said that the biggest demographic of the highest grossing Marvel films, Avengers series movies, are in the age range of 18-34; this is compared to the 35-54 and 55+ markets (Statista, Watson). In comparison to other films in the Marvel collection, solo films, these ranges grow closer to together in terms of overall theater attendance and the age range gap (Stat, Wat). I, personally, will always be there within the first 48 hours for a Marvel release, but I will definitely be there within 24 hours for an Avengers movie—the same goes with Star Wars. The difference goes to the experience in the theater and the excitement that follows with it. On the total opposite creative spectrum, any other film can be waited for in my opinion, with the rare outlier situation of course. Which movies you go and see are totally dependent on individual preferences. For example, I'll wait to see a new sports related movie on a streaming service, but if there is a biopic about a classic rock artist, then I will definitely be buying a ticket for that. Also, movies that have a buzz around it, which is consisting of and considering the quirkiness and freshness of it, is a key drawl for those wanting to contribute to an opening night in the box office attendance. From what I've gathered, with the college community I am in, this is the same for most. There's an electric feel that we chase in the theaters that complies with a nostalgia of watching a premiere. When that excitement isn't in the aura of the film, then my generation isn't buying a ticket. And the business aspect of Hollywood notices. Streaming allows for you to rent a movie cheaper than most tickets—especially when doing so for a large gathering. Inexpensive options, along with unlimited variety, really draws a line for what movies are viewed when, where, and why.

Now, I have been in the learning process of the entertainment business for a few years now. I know a lot, but there is a lot I also don't know. Therefore, I will not fully explain every business model that encapsulates the movie industry and complexities that make it up, because I do not have the knowledge for that, but will rather explain as simply and straightforward as I can the concepts of this business. Movie studios will mostly decide between two financial distribution models for films when working with a distributor: leasing and profit-sharing (Distribution, Tyson). Leasing sets up a fixed price to be payed to studios for distributing a film and profit sharing determines the studio gets a percentage of net profit (Distr, Tyson). Either one of these is applicable but is based on the gamble of sending a movie to the final consumer and if they are willing to pay to watch or not; this is present for both theaters and streaming. In the terms of these two movies, it is up to the balance of costs between how much it takes to pay the distributor and the return you receive. If a streaming service projects bigger profits on Hulu or Netflix, then why go through the trouble of a theater? Studios deciding which route to take between theaters and streaming is a lot like ours. I can enjoy this movie at my own home or go to a theater where someone is probably playing on their cell phone. The return costs, which is enjoyment, determines our decision on which one we'll do.

Movies, to my knowledge, were made for the big screen. For the sounds, music, and dialogue to be booming all around me and the action on the screen to encapsulate my vision. I will continue to go to selective theater showings—but simply for this and other experiences. The rush of a crowd gasping or laughing can be quite enthralling and the crunch of popcorn, but when the buzz isn't controlling the film then I will most likely stay home. To say theaters will die in America goes against the fact that this is their true format and has become a stapled, American tradition. To say streaming will take over the theater system can be a guess, but not a correct one in my opinion. One of these means will survive and the other will thrive, but both will live on for as long as our lifetime and will be determined by us and our quest to be entertained in whatever way we want.

References:

Tyson, Jeff. "How Movie Distribution Works." How Stuff Works, entertainment.howstuffworks.com/movie-distribution1.htm.

Watson, Amy. "Share of Consumers Who Have Watched Selected Marvel Studios Superhero Films in the United States as of February 2018, by Age." Statista, www.statista.com/statistics/807367/marvel-movie-viewership-age/.