Unexpected Pregnancy: Your Life Isn't Over

Just because you weren't expecting this doesn't mean it has to be bad.

160
https://odysseyimages.s3.amazonaws.com/cropped_ry9vo-jlM.jpeg

If you have not been planning to welcome that little, innocent, smiley face in your life, a positive pregnancy result may not be the best news for you. Everyone must agree that having a baby is quite a life-changing experience, and it’s easy to feel overwhelmed at the prospect of being a single mom, even if the father is in the picture. But this doesn’t have to be the end of your life. Instead of ignoring what is going on, here are a few things that you should do to deal with this unexpected change.

Visit Your Doctor

Once you have taken a home test, it is important that you get checked out again by your doctor or midwife. They will help you to know how far you are in your pregnancy and what you need to be doing right now. This is really important because the things you do early in your pregnancy can have far-reaching impacts for you and the baby.Your doctor can help you figure out what you need to be doing and answer any questions you have about what will be happening for the next few months. There’s lots of information on the internet, but pregnancy is personal, so make sure you get a personal plan.

Evaluate Your Health Policy

Pregnancy is quite an expensive business since it involves doctor’s appointments, blood tests, ultrasound scans, and a variety of other things. This all adds up to a lot of money. Your insurance should cover most of this, but you will need to change your insurance to include your baby. Pregnancy is aqualifying event, so if you don’t like the coverage you have on your current insurance, it may be a good time to look into a new policy.

Avoid Bad Habits

You should quit some lifestyle habits such as drinking alcohol, drug abuse and smoking immediately you discover you are expecting. These habits could have an adverse impact on your future baby’s health. Even some prescription drugs you have been taking needre-confirming by your doctor since some are unsafe to use when pregnant. Also, make sure you eat a healthy and balanced diet which include plenty of fruits and vegetables.

Seek Moral Support

You do not have to face this alone. Hopefully, the potential father might be understanding and will there for you throughout. But also remember that they too may as well need some time to come to terms with the fact. Hence, try also talking to friends and kin or even to other couples who also experienced surprise pregnancies to know how they managed.

It can be especially difficult if you aren’t sure if you want to keep your baby. If you don’t know anyone who has been in your specific situation before, it might be a good idea to reach out to organizations that are meant to help people in your situation. They can help you process what you are feeling and provide you with information aboutalternatives to abortion.

Start Saving

Having a baby is an expensive process, even beyond the medical expenses. You can start collecting some things now, such as clothes, blankets, and bottles, but you aren’t going to know everything that you need, no matter how much you plan. So it is time tostart saving money for future expenses. You can visit baby shops and inquire about the baby essentials to enable you to get going. Try spreading the cost of buying these things over the nine-months in the run-up to the due day. It is also important to expect other hidden costs, which normally pop up during this period.

While this may be throwing you into a tailspin, don’t let it completely derail your life and your goals. Whether you decide to keep the baby or give it up for adoption, this can be a positive experience for you and everyone involved.