Are You Aware of the New Snapchat Update?

"Ghost Setting"

35
News Wise

Recently, Snapchat unveiled it's latest update, which questions privacy rights. Under the update, Snap Map, users are able to share their exact location with friends. It also allows you to share the location of posted Snaps to "Our Story", which is public, and could be useful for, say, seeing a collection of Snaps from a particular event. The feature is activated every time you open up the app.

This all sounds great, except for one thing. If you don't know about the update, chances are you did not turn off the setting to deactivate Snap Map. In order to do so, one must activate the "ghost setting" so that only you are able to see your location, no one else, not even friends.

Although this update is very cool and makes sharing stories more exciting, there is also the privacy aspect. Does the update make it easier for privacy to be leaked? Yes, more importantly it may be leaked without the person even knowing. Location settings and services on their own make it easy for hackers or anyone in general to know where you are at a given point. Therefore, the fact that Snapchat is enabling Snap Map on everyone's account and giving them the option to deactivate the setting is pretty unsettling. If anything it should be vice versa: one should be allowed to turn it on as they wish, not be forced to shut it off.

Overall, the number one issue that I have with the update is the fact that Snap Map was enabled on everyone's Snapchat account, and for many, they were unaware. Unaware with the fact that people could access their location every time they have the app opened.

Do you want people to have access to your location each time you use Snapchat? Turn on your Ghost Setting if you don't.