5 Things To Avoid Bringing To Thanksgiving Dinner

I promise you no one wants the Jell-O salad or your political views.

11

I'm one of the few lucky ones who has been blessed with a family who works hard to ensure the holidays are peaceful. I think it's important that Thanksgiving remain non-confrontational, and there are ways in which we can avoid the classic holiday feuds.

To keep everyone smiling, here are 7 things we should avoid bringing to the table!

Politics

Okay, so obviously if your family has the exact same stance on political matters then you can skip this advice. However, I know the majority of families have total opposite views and things could get ugly. The simple answer here: just avoid the discussion or agree to disagree. If that isn't working, take a breather. Go outside or to another room, but don't let the conversation escalate.

Ridiculing

Remember to think twice about what you comment on. Avoid pointing out things that are not easily changeable in the moment. For example, commenting on someone's acne or weight is extremely hurtful no matter how nicely you phrase it. Hurtful words can linger with someone for a very long time, so choose carefully.

Jell-O Salad

This is not acceptable. It's not even salad. Please don't bring this.

Regular salad

No one wants this either. Mathematically speaking, there is just not enough room on a standard-sized plate for leafy greens. Now, broccoli is totally acceptable if it's smothered in cheese.

Grudges

I think the biggest obstacle during the holiday season is when families hold grudges against each other. I encourage anyone who has a problem with their family, especially if it's a minor problem, to reach out. You never know how much time you have left with them. Be with them while you still can.