5 Tips To Avoid The Dreadful Freshman 15

Weight gain in college seems inevitable, but with these few tips it can be avoided.

19
Instagram

College is the time in your life when you personally know every pizza delivery guy who takes the late night shift. It's when finding a four leaf clover is more likely than seeing strawberries in the dining hall and when working out consists of walking all the way across campus twice a week for your chemistry lab.

It is these times in college that unfortunately lead to the infamous “freshman 15.” College is stressful in all aspects of your life: socially, academically, and financially. You are busy with classes, figuring out your future, and attempting to hold on to some kind of a social life. Weight gain in college seems almost inevitable, but it doesn’t have to be.

I gained weight my first semester in college. I was away from my mother’s cooking, away from high school athletics, and thrown into the world of stressful late night snacking and endless buffets in the dining hall. It wasn’t until I came home for Christmas break that I decided I needed to take control of my eating while at school. I began following these few tips and although I am still not the same weight I was in high school, I have become overall a healthier person.

1. Don’t eat two hours before you go to bed.

The foods people eat late at night are not fruits or vegetables when the late night munchies arrive they are filled with cravings for pizza, cookies, ice cream, and other high-calorie foods. By pledging not to eat late at night you are one step closer to killing these cravings and avoiding the unnecessary sweets. Eating right before bed can also affect your sleep cycle. Your body does not need nor wants food right before you sleep, so save the calories for breakfast in the morning.

2. Portion control

Portion control is one of the biggest problems college students face. Once you swipe into the dining hall you have what seems like endless possibilities of food, and a chance to go back as many times as you want. You do not need two helpings of macaroni and cheese, it will be there again next week. When getting food in the dining hall, start with a small portion, and if you are still hungry then go back for more. Do not automatically grab two plates of food just because you can.

3. Get up and move.

You do not have to run three miles every morning in order to stay healthy. In fact, I absolutely despise running. Go to your school’s gym and try out all the different machines: elliptical, stair climber, stationary bike, treadmill, etc. If you don’t like the gym then simply try walking. Grab a friend to walk around campus with three times a week, or find a gym partner. Involving someone else with your exercise will make you accountable.

4. Don’t drink all your calories.

Just because you don’t eat it, doesn’t mean it is calorie free. Alcohol, soda, and juice all contain calories. Cut back on some of these drinks and focus on drinking more water in order to avoid weight gain and become healthier.

5. Indulge every now and then.

Indulge! If you are craving that cookie at the dining hall one day have it. If you are up late studying and need an energy boost grab a snack (preferably a healthy one). Do not let yourself feel deprived. Make a change to a healthier lifestyle, not a calorie stricken diet.Weight gain, like making new friends, is just another part of starting college. However, too much weight gain can cause negative effects to your health and self-esteem. You have the power to change your eating habits, and either prevent or lose the dreadful freshman 15.