Marvel Released Their Newest Trailer, And The Countdown To May 4th Is On

"There was an idea, to bring together a group of remarkable people..."

48

Marvel has a very busy year coming up in 2018. This past year alone has seen multiple superhero movies from both the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) and DC Comics.

All of Marvel's films have been leading up to something very big, though, and we are all finally going to get to experience this come May of 2018. The storylines of all the Avengers, as well as the characters from "Guardians of the Galaxy" (GOTG) are all going to come together to fight for the greater good in "Avengers: Infinity War".

Marvel Comic fans have been murmuring about this film for ages because it has the potential to be such an emotional and action-packed way to tie together all of our favorite heroes against an insanely strong villain.

Up until this morning, however, all we've had to go on is speculation, and a few accidental leaks from the cast members (looking at you, Mark Ruffalo and Tom Holland). But we finally have it, the official trailer for "Avengers: Infinity War" and all of its potential glory:

I could break this down second by second, but let's face it that would make for an extremely long and overdone article. However, there is a lot to take in and talk about based on these two and a half minutes of footage.

First things first, nearly everyone got a makeover of some sort. Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow) has gone bleach blonde, Thor (spoiler alert) has not only lost an eye but also his hair, Steve Rogers (Captain America) is rocking the beard, Vision actually looks like a normal human aside from the infinity stone in his forehead, Peter Parker (Spider-Man) is back with a new suit, and Bucky Barnes once again has two arms despite his state at the end of "Captain America: Civil War."

So clearly, between all of the movies that have come out since "Civil War" and the implied time-lapse that isn't touched upon in the movies, everyone has been going through a lot and they're expressing it with their new styles.

Alright, now that the superficial stuff is out of the way, let's talk about what this all means. An important thing to keep in mind is that this isn't the very next Marvel film that we're going to get. Before we get to "Infinity War" we are going to be graced with the release of "Black Panther" and you can bet that plot-points from that film are going to carry over into "Infinity War" (like Bucky getting his new arm, perhaps?).

If you want to watch that trailer, which I strongly suggest you do because it looks like it's going to be yet another amazing film, you can check that out here. But that's an important note to remember because there is no way that that film's plot doesn't tie into Infinity War's.

This film is going to bring together pretty much every Marvel character that we've spent time with over the fast few years. A lot of these characters haven't had any real crossover except for the people who make up the Avengers. "Infinity War", however, is going to tie together the Avengers, Doctor Strange and his posse, Black Panther and his army, and the Guardians of the Galaxy. The Avengers, as we've seen in recent films, have gone their separate ways for one reason or another. But all of the bad breakups that we've seen are going to have to be confronted because they are all uniting against one common enemy: Thanos, and they can't afford to not be working as a team if they're hoping to defeat him.

The majority of the trailer focuses on the heroes that the MCU has spent the most time on. We see a lot of Thor, a lot of Iron Man, and a good amount of Black Widow and Captain America. We see a lot of Doctor Strange even though he's only had one solo film, but since he is currently in the possession of one of the infinity stones it's important to remember that he is vital to winning this war.

One of the main hype-points of this film is the fact that it's bringing all of our favorite MCU groups together, but even so, we only get a small glimpse of the fact that our misfit band of heroes from "Guardians of the Galaxy" is going to be helping save the universe from Thanos. Their introduction comes in at the very end and, in true GOTG fashion, their arrival is unannounced and humorous.

This trailer does a very good job at giving you glimpses of everything you need to see, and pretty much everything that you want to see (even though I could've done with a couple more clips of Bucky Barnes), without giving away everything that is going to happen in the film.

We all have been made aware that not everyone who makes it into this movie, is going to make it out. From the get-go, we've assumed, and been warned, that there are going to be character deaths. We don't know who for sure, and I'm hoping that it stays that way because that's one spoiler I can't handle. But the MCU is going to bring all of our favorite heroes back together and then take some of them away permanently.

Marvel is taking on a lot of responsibility in making this film. They are responsible for the character arcs of more characters than they've ever had to deal with in one movie before. My concern from the start that because they're trying to incorporate so many people and accomplish so much, that there are going to be a lot of things that aren't seen to completion. I hope that that isn't what happens because this film and the plot behind it holds so much potential, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Regardless, this film is going to shape the landscape for all the future MCU movies because everyone is involved in a way that they haven't been before, and that is enough to keep us all on the edge of our seats.

One thing is for sure, the countdown to May 4th is going to be more frantic than before now that we've gotten our first real taste of what's waiting for us in "Avengers: Infinity War."