Attract Them By The Way You Live

Attract Them By The Way You Live

Relationships cannot be all about the physical.

352
Attract Them By The Way You Live
Public Domain Pictures

Attract them by the way you live - Saint Augustine

I read this one day as I was scrolling through my Facebook newsfeed. A friend of mine shared it and I couldn’t help but be taken back by it. In today’s society, you don’t hear this very often. It’s all about putting on your best outfit (mainly the one that shows off your figure), taking way too long to do your hair when you know it won’t look like that in the next hour, and covering up God’s beautiful design with loads of makeup. It’s just what you do. Physical appearance has become more of a priority than what’s on the inside. Even though that sounds terribly cliche, it’s the truth and it needs to stop. Physical appearance is going to change. So let me ask you this: if you are looking for a serious relationship, do you want the person that cares more about how you look on the inside that will get bored with you if something were to happen. Or do you want the person that is so taken with you because of the way you live your life and the kindness that abides in your heart? I personally want to be with someone that sees me as a beautiful daughter of Christ because of the choices I make and the way I treat others. And I want to look at him that way as well. I want to be reeled in by a guy’s actions of love rather than his muscles or chiseled jaw. So many people have lost self-respect and they do not care about how they are living as long as they look good and can get the person they like to notice them. It’s something I have struggled with a lot, but what we all have to come to realize is that if the person you like only notices you because of the way you look, then why do you want to take on life with them? What kind of relationship is that? It’s not one that will last very long. I have come to realize that I want someone that will run towards heaven with me. I say that all the time, but I REALLY mean it. I want to sprint towards heaven with the person I end up with. What does that look like? Well, I really have no idea. The best example I can think of is my parents. My parents did/do a lot for our parish, they go to mass together, they are always asking each other for prayers, they would do anything for their kids, and they make time for each other. My dad helped get my mom back into the church when they started dating, and because of that, my mom is the most faithful woman I know. My dad never fails to tell me how amazing my mom is. He tells everyone. He says things like, “she is the best woman I know” or “no one is as nice as your mom." Those quotes are examples of what it’s like to be loved for how you act rather than your physical appearance. These are the kinds of things we should hear from the guy/girl we are with. We should strive for greatness, kindness, and love. I personally think St. Augustine has some of the greatest dating advice out there and something we all desperately need to hear every single day. Attract them by the way you live. If you live a good life full of always showing others God’s love, then you will attract the right person for you. It all starts with self-respect and it ends with love.