"Athens is only good for partying" and 20 other gems of the city
popular

A guide to the city that has it all

2958

It's no secret that Athens is a very well known college town and more specifically the home to one of the greatest "party schools". We have more bars per capita than any other city in the country ranking in at 80 in a single square mile. However, there is so much more to my new found home than sticky floors and downtown adventures. After living here for the past six months, I have been able to see so much of what Athens has to offer. This article goes out to the locals, the students, the visitors, and those who have yet to experience the eclectic scene of my brand new home.

Here is my list- my favorite places in this town, and the best of the recommendations I have received. From coffee shops to music to food to nature- here's my list to the city that has it all.

Mama's Boy

Easily one of the most well know breakfast places in town, Mama's Boy is a go-to for anyone stopping through Athens, locals, and students. Their biscuits and quaint style reflect some of the hidden gems of Athens. This is the perfect breakfast start to any morning in Ath.

Ideal Bagel Co

From many bagel and breakfast places in Athens, Ideal Bagel Co is one of my favorites. Easily located to help you avoid the cost and hassle of parking, Ideal is home to some of the freshest bagels. Their essential cream cheese is homemade to include flavors such as sun-dried tomato, fish, espresso, bacon tomato, fresh fruit, etc. They also have a variety of snacks and lunches to keep you full throughout the day.

Bear Hollow Zoo

This zoo not only provides the community with fun entertainment, but it also brings delight to many animal activists. This zoo only houses animals that would not be able to survive on their own in the wild. It is FREE. and includes bears, eagles, otters, alligators, turtles, and so many other beautiful animals living their best life in Athens.

Georgia Botanical Gardens

These scenic views serve for the perfect picnic all year long. Through flowered walkways, overlooking trees, and beautiful fountains, these gardens provide programs and joy for our community. Admission and parking are FREE, and one of the prettiest places here.

Raising Canes

Zaxby's doesn't stand a chance against Canes. Growing up without a local Canes, I can now admit to the disservice of Woodstock, Georgia. The chicken is more tender, fresher, and the sauce takes the cake. This is a hot spot for Clarke-County students for post-football game traditions, students craving a late night snack, and visiting parents. Its late hours host Athens' best while serving up better.

Athens Farmer's Market

This market displays once a week even throughout the winter to showcase local art, produce, and handmade goods. From handmade pretzels to fresh vegetables to locally designed clothing, this market showcases the true creativity here and offers us a break to shop local.

North Campus

From game day tailgates to afternoon frisbee to Sunday studying, North Campus is the place to be. On warm days, this part of campus is the best place to get work done outside where the wifi still will reach. The large grassy lawns host hammocks of cuddling couples, blankets of studying bio-majors, and games between hall mates.

Rook and Pawn

For $5, have your selection between any board game imaginable. Spice up your date night with a coffee and a Clue competition as you relive your childhood favorites and leash out your competitive side.

Cine

This is probably the most eclectic movie theater- like ever. From a bar to a cafe to live music, this takes movie watching to a new level. This intimate theater shows indie films, smaller release flicks, and a smaller setting for you and your closest friends.

Oconee Forest Park

More than 850 miles showcase Athens wildlife. From campgrounds to historic ruins, these trails are perfect for nice weather days. Hiking and adventuring make for the perfect outdoor exercise time with your friends and family.

Iron Horse

An icon. For who knows why, Athens has a metal horse statue in the middle of a field. This landmark makes for the perfect stargazing spot and even better photo-ops and sunset videos.

Classic Center

Cheer on the ice dawgs, attend a philanthropy event, or ice skate around with your tinder date. The classic center is the perfect opportunity to head downtown for a fun night out and mark up your calendar of their events.

Cali 'n Titos

This cash-only Mexican restaurant is a rustic hub for all of your queso cravings. Their authentic yet cheap cuisine brings out the best in everyone. The outdoor picnic tables and water faucet for drinks is a unique piece of Athens. There are two locations. The smaller being more intimate, unique, and trendy creates a home for the local Latino community, students, and locals. The larger location houses picnic table rows for groups, and authentic food in a more established and modern setting.

Pauley's

Crepes for breakfast... and lunch.. and dinner. Despite my parents occasionally complaining about the loud music on game days, Pauley's food can't be beat. Their savory crepes turn a breakfast tradition into a filling date night meal or the perfect family lunch. Their collection of wine, beer, and cocktails set a checklist for all regulars to check all the drinks off their lists.

40 Watt Club

Athens' music scene brought REM, the B-52's, and Drivin 'n Cryin to the stage. This local venue has hosted some of the city's greats up and coming artists for cheap live local music.

Georgia Theatre

Catch your favorite bands here on your everyday Tuesday night. Bigger artists come to the classic city for their favorite college town. I sat a red light and watched the band I had just seen pack up their tour bus. This more intimate venue for the big artist comes together to create the best concert experience walking distance from campus.

Sanford Stadium

Nothing like a Saturday in Athens. Calling the Dawgs, avoiding the arch, and shaking free red pom poms until the break, Saturdays are different here. We rep Kirby Smart buttons, sorority letters, and all come together to yell at 19-year-olds to just "run the damn ball".

Last Resort Grill

Last Resort was Athen's first ever music club. They are now known for the perfect destination for students with parents in town and an escape from dining halls. Their cakes are famous, and their food highly raved about. The best meal for the times you're broke in college and not the one paying.

The Tree That Owns Itself

Legend has it the original owner of the land left this very piece of grass to the tree itself. The tree is the legal owner of this piece of property and is a sight-seeing opportunity for all coming through to view a history richer than its roots.

Downtown 

Besides the bars, the quick walk to downtown is filled with big brand names like Urban Outfitters and small boutiques that sell pieces for all unique fashion addicts. From cookie dough dessert to late night cookie deliveries, downtown is full of amazing stops and shops that make the best of any weekend.

Despite only living here a few months, this town is my own, and it is my mission to explore it. I look for the beauty in the smaller things here and wanted to point out the best of the best. If you're touring campus and needing a pick me up, considering coming here but think you won't fit into the bar scene, in town for a game day, or visiting friends or family, I highly recommend enjoying all Athens has to offer. I can't imagine calling any other place home.

Go dawgs!