Ask Me What It's Like
Lifestyles

Ask Me What It's Like

In light of the Kavanaugh hearings, here's just a glimpse of my daily thoughts as a girl in this world. I know I'm not alone.*

58
Ask Me What It's Like

Ask me what it's like to walk alone at night on campus, even though I feel safe, knowing there's a chance something could happen to me.

Ask me what it's like to constantly check behind me to make sure I'm not being followed.

Ask me what it's like when I'm being tailgated even when I'm going 10MPH over the speed limit.

Ask me what it's like to walk past construction workers or any group of men.

Ask me what it's like going to the mall by myself.

Ask me what it's like taking my dog for a walk by myself.

Ask me what it's like questioning if guys only like me for my body.

Ask me what it's like studying to be in a male dominated profession.

Ask me what it's like to be told to dress a certain way, but then get blamed for harassment or assault.

Ask me what it's like to not enjoy my night out because I have to endlessly watch my every move.

Ask me what it's like when my parents tell my brothers and me to be careful, but not in the same ways to my brothers.

Ask me what it's like when people tell you to just give him a chance.

Ask me what it's like to say no a million times.

Ask me what it was like walking into my math class every day in 5th grade wearing a sweatshirt so my teacher wouldn't look down my shirt.

Ask me what it was like buying baggy clothes because I didn't want boys to get the wrong idea at 12 years old.

Ask me what it was like when I found out guys wrote vulgar things about my body on the bathroom stall in 7th grade.

Ask me what it's like when a guy keeps touching your thigh.

Ask me what it's like when that same guy asks you to massage his feet in your college dorm common room.

Ask me what it's like when he keeps putting his arm around you.

Ask me what it's like when you found out other girls had similar interactions with this guy.

Ask me what it's like when you find out that guy got kicked out of school for sexual assault, after getting away with it for a whole year.

Ask me why I didn't report him.

Ask me what it's like questioning every interaction you had with him and how things could have gone differently if your friend didn't show up.

Ask me what it's like knowing you and the other girls "got lucky" he's gone because these things usually get swept under the rug.

Ask me what it's like knowing that there's so many other guys out there like him.

Ask me why this was quicker and easier to write than a 300 word response for my class.

Don't just ask me, ask any other girl what it's like to live in this world.

*I understand and acknowledge harassment and assault happens to men too, but for all intents and purposes, I am focusing on a female's perspective.