2018 Was Overflowing With Asian Representation And I Couldn't Be Prouder

From major motion pictures to record-breaking music icons, representation for Asian people was monumental!

711
https://twitter.com/search?f=images&vertical=default&q=chloe%20kim%20gold%20medal&src=typd

2018 was a big year for Asian representation in media and film. From major motion pictures to record-breaking music icons, representation for Asian people was monumental!

Growing up, one of the only times I ever saw anyone in movies, music, or media that looked similar to me was when I saw Disney's "Mulan" for the first time.

After seeing that movie, I became OBSESSED with it.

I would watch that movie over and over until I could quote the whole every line. I would reenact some of the scenes with my mom, and for several Halloweens, I dressed up as Mulan. This movie was a huge part of my childhood, and Mulan was someone I admired and looked up to while growing up. It was refreshing and comforting to see someone who looked like me on a TV screen, or as a doll in the Walmart toy section.

Everyone else slept on Mulan because she didn't have a fancy dress or live in a giant fancy palace. She was also one of the only princesses who actually did something other than sing to birds and sleep. AND, she single-handedly saved China after constantly being told she is a woman who has no rightful place in the army. But people would rather have Cinderella because she has shiny shoes and animal friends. Makes sense.

Since Mulan, Asian representation has increased immensely. Especially this year.

2018 was filled with Asian representation in all categories, beginning with music and ending with sports. Here are a few highlights of the year that feature or star people from Asian backgrounds in 2018.

BTS

twitter

BTS is a K-pop group who has become one of the most popular boys-bands in the world. In 2018 alone, they broke record after record and continue to grow their fanbase. iHeartRadio actually recorded all of their record-breaking moments.

These are just a few of their accomplishments: They are the first Korean act to debut at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, with "Love Yourself: Tear." They were the first K-Pop group to be nominated for a Billboard Music Award, which they won, and then became the first K-pop group to win a Billboard Music Award. They're the first Korean act to hold the No. 1 spot on the Billboard Artists 100 list. And this isn't even half of their accomplishments!

The men also spoke in front of the U.N. about their partnership with UNICEF and their "Love Yourself" campaign, which is aimed at ending violence against children and young people across the globe. The campaign has since raised over $1 million in support of its cause.

Chloe Kim

Seventeen-year-old Chloe Kim won gold for the United States in the 2018 winter Olympics for snowboarding halfpipe. She is the youngest ever female athlete to win Olympic gold on snow. She is from California, and her parents were born in South Korea. The snowboarder even appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated and the popular cereal box Kellogg's Corn Flakes for their Gold Medal Edition of the cereal!

Deepika Padukone

Deepika Padukone is a Bollywood actress who started a foundation called "The Live Laugh Love Foundation." The actress has suffered from depression and wanted to bring awareness of mental health to others. You can read this article in "Times of India" for more on what her foundation has done; for example, the foundation has awareness drives in 27 schools and is also training general physicians to correctly diagnose depression.

"Crazy Rich Asians"

This movies features an all-Asian cast and became the highest-opening romantic comedy since 2015. The movie is based on a book written by Kevin Kwan, starring a Chinese American woman who discovers her boyfriend is one of Singapore's wealthiest families.

The movie has received several nominations such as "Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture," "Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Acting Ensemble," "Critics' Choice Movie Award for Best Acting Ensemble," and lead actress of the movie, Constance Wo, was nominated for "Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Comedy or Musical." These are just a few of the nominations!

"To All the Boys I've Loved Before"

This is the movie that broke the Internet. The movie is based on the book by Jenny Han. High school girl Laura Jean discovers that the letters she wrote about her past and current crushes were mysteriously sent out. Laura Jean is played by Lana Condor, a Vietnamese-American actress. She also stars in the Syfy series "Deadly Class."

BONUS: Netflix recently announced that they're making a sequel, to be based on the second book in the "To All The Boys I've Loved Before" trilogy! 2019 is looking bomb already for Asian representation.

Nadia Murad

twitter

Nadia Murad is a human rights activist who was awarded the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize for her contributions toward combating wartime sexual assault. Murad is a Yazidi survivor of rape and captivity by ISIS. She continues to share her story despite the amount of shame rape has in her culture. In 2016, she was named the U.N.'s first Goodwill Ambassador for the Dignity of Survivors of Human Trafficking.

Prabal Gurung

This man is a Nepalese American fashion designer who, in his 2018 Fall campaign, worked with an all Asian cast and crew. He called the campaign "Stronger in Color" to emphasize the importance of representation of everyone, especially minority groups. He is also an advocate for the LBGTQ community and feminism.

Naomi Osaka

She beat Serena Williams in the U.S. Open Tennis Championship on September 8, 2018. Naomi is the first Japanese singles tennis player to win the Grand Slam title. The athlete was also one of Google's top trending athletes for 2018.

These are just to name a few.

Asian representation is so important because it is so overlooked.

It's no secret that there is hardly ever any Asian representation in media, film, or music. That is why this year, films like "Crazy Rich Asians" and athletes like Chloe Kim are extremely important. They are making history and paving the way for Asian representation to become more common in the future. They show everyone that people with Asian backgrounds are just as creative, intelligent, and talented and any other race.

Asian representation in the past has either been negative or based on stereotypes.

It also does not help that any/a majority of Asian representation in past has been either negative or based on stereotypes. Characters like Long Duk Dong from "Sixteen Candles" and Mr. Chow from "The Hangover" are the basis for Asians in media. Yes, these characters are written as comical roles, but that's not the only role Asian actors are capable of playing. Asian actors and actresses are capable of serious, dramatic roles in media as well. They are more than just the stereotypes.

This is why all of these people in 2018 who have done outstanding things should be highlighted. They are showing the world that Asian people are more than just the punchline of racist humor. Asian representation has come a long way and it's not slowing down. I am excited to see what the future will hold for not just Asian people but all minorities in not just media but sports and government as well!

Everyone deserves to be seen, and everyone deserves to be represented.