11 Artists On The ACL 2016 Lineup That Don't Suck

Here are just a few of the sets that shouldn't disappoint.

22
KUTX

Whoever was in charge of the Austin City Limits Music Festival lineup got themselves in a pickle when they managed to get both Drake and The Weeknd to headline for 2015. With such big names ruling Zilker Park last October, where were they supposed to go from there? Thousands of music lovers waited until May 5 to find out, but alas, many were bummed to see fewer big names and “weak” headliners for the ACL 2016 lineup.

I’m not afraid to say that I love the lineup this year. I can respect varying tastes in music, but it hurts me a lil' that this year's lineup hasn't been so well-received, only because I think there's so much to look forward to and I want everyone to get excited!

Here's just a few of the acts that will be at Austin City Limits Music Festival this fall that, in my opinion, do not suck.

1. Two Door Cinema Club

I’ve seen this peppy Irish trio twice before at ACL 2010 and 2012. They were nothing short of exciting, get-on-someone’s-shoulders indie pop perfection. Let’s hope they still include their goosebump-inducing intro to “What You Know.”

2. Kendrick Lamar

YOU KNOW HE’LL DO M.A.A.D. CITY AND YOU’LL PROBABLY GET PUNCHED BUT IT’LL BE THE HIGHLIGHT OF YOUR LIFE. Plus, his setlist can now include tracks from “To Pimp a Butterfly” and “untitled unmastered.” The 2016 lineup has let down some rap junkies in comparison to last year, but all we really need is Kendrick, am I right?

3. Major Lazer

A lot of us may be tired of the radio earworm “Lean On” by now, but Major Lazer has plenty of beats for droppin’ it low if that’s what you desire of music fests. I expect a lot of flashing lights and a lot of sweating. And who knows, maybe you'll get to hold Diplo in a giant hamster ball?

4. HAIM

Three sisters from the family I kind of wish would just adopt me already. They’re beyond adorable, super fun and crazy talented ACL veterans. Their funky sound will have you shimmying the whole set and you’ll wish you could hop on stage with them.

5. Young the Giant

We've all heard "Cough Syrup" and/or "My Body" on the alternative radio stations, but there's a lot more where those hits came from. I was obsessed with Young the Giant's last album, and I can't wait for their next one this summer. I wasn't too familiar with them when they came to ACL 2011, but I can bet their show this year won't fall short.

6. Local Natives

I sent the above texts to my friend the night before the ACL 2016 lineup was released, and if those don't summarize how I feel about Local Natives, I don't know what does. I missed them at ACL 2013 and I still haven't forgiven myself for it. "Music that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside" is the best way I know how to describe their sound. I have high expectations for their set. Bless the ACL gods for giving me a second chance.

7. The Naked and Famous

The New Zealand group behind “Young Blood,” the catchy tune on every hipster’s party playlist, are making it to ACL and I’m psyched. This’ll be a show to jump around to for sure.

8. St. Lucia

“Dancing On Glass?” More like dancing on grass, because that's what you'll be doing. Please tell me I'm funny.

9. Gallant

An up-and-coming R&B singer kinda reminiscent of an early Weeknd. Also ridiculously talented. You better catch him now before he inevitably headlines in a few years and you’ll have to risk your life to get to the front row.

10. Wild Belle

I've already written an album praise for these two, and I can't wait to see if their fantastic alternative-reggae-jazz-pop record holds up just as well in a festival setting.

11. Radiohead

The top headliner for ACL 2016 and perhaps the most controversial artist on my list. There’s little grey area separating the people who love Radiohead and the people who think that autotuned belches played backwards would sound more pleasing than Thom Yorke’s singing. I happen to fall in the first category. I think the men of Radiohead are amazing songwriters, innovative creators and magnificent performers. They’re not everyone’s cup of tea, but I trust them to put on an extremely memorable show in all the right ways. Catch me at the barricade, probably crying and doubting their mortality.

It's impossible to please everyone with the ACL lineup, but I hope people can appreciate what 2016 has to offer. Can September 30 hurry up?