Artistically Beautiful Films On Netflix Every Movie Buff Will Love

These movies are candy for your eyes.

4945
Film-Grab

What makes films so beautiful? For many, it's the artistic elements -- color palettes, costume, makeup, cinematography, etc. The way a director chooses to exercise these elements intensify the emotions of the characters and set an overall mood for the film, which greatly affects the viewer's experience. Here are some films available on Netflix that will be candy for your eyes.

"Enter the Void" (2009)

"Enter the Void" is a super trippy movie. The entire film is through the point of view of Oscar, a drug junkie in Tokyo who has just been killed and is soul-searching through the afterlife. Sometimes the film can be overwhelming but in the most fascinating way possible. You won't want to take your eyes off the screen. This psychedelic film will make you feel things no other film has before.

"Swingers" (1996)

This film takes place in the 1990s, but the dark shadows and vibrant hues pushed to the highlights make you feel as though you have just stepped into a speakeasy in the 1920. Neon colors are often seen that create a casino-esque aura. The dialogue among the borderline-crazy characters will have you laughing the whole time.

"Big Fish" (2003)

Tim Burton is known for his striking use of colors that make movies seem larger-than-life, but "Big Fish" is somewhat different from his other movies. This film is unique in that Burton mainly draws upon bright hues of the primary colors, cultivating a feel-good viewing experience. The film is very sweet and uses a lot of vibrant child-like colors to create an innocent, uplifting mood.

"It's Such a Beautiful Day" (2012)

Watching this film takes some getting used to because of its unique animation style. The entire film is a series of drawings, with Bill, easily distinguished by his hat, as the central figure. The film follows him as he tries to find meaning in life. The director gives the viewer the impression that he or she is viewing the life of Bill through a keyhole. The lack of detail forces you to focus on the hauntingly beautiful writing of the story, and you'll finish the movie with an entirely new outlook on life.

"Corpse Bride" (2005)

"Corpse Bride" is a Tim Burton classic, and it's one of my personal favorite films. The plot follows the clumsy character of Victor, who is in love with a gentle woman named Victoria but accidentally weds himself to a hopelessly romantic corpse named Emily. It is interesting to see how Burton illustrates the real world with bleak shades of blue, gray and violet, yet depicts the underworld in lively and vibrant shades of almost every color.

"Amélie" (2001)

"Amélie" is widely celebrated as a film with one of the best color palettes ever seen in the movie industry. This French film pushes greens and turquoises into the shadows and brings oranges and yellows into the highlights, using contrasting colors to make every still look like its own painting that should be framed and hung in an art museum. The entire film is enchanting and will leave you smiling.

"Moonrise Kingdom" (2012)

It's no question that Wes Anderson is one of the most visually skilled directors in cinematic history. "Moonrise Kingdom" was the first movie of his I ever saw, and it's the first movie that ever got me into paying attention to color usage in cinema. Anderson has a tremendous talent for capturing time periods through colors; in this case, by drawing on hazy pastels, he makes the viewer feel as though he or she has time-traveled into the 1960s.

"Melancholia" (2011)

I originally wanted to include "The Virgin Suicides" in this list, only to find out that it is tragically no longer available on Netflix. However, "Melancholia" is equally as somber, and Kirsten Dunst makes an equally as fantastic performance. The premise centers on her character, a depressed bride who is facing the end of the world. The unique angles used by director Lars von Trier are mesmerizing and the subdued colors will leave you in a trance.

"American Beauty" (1999)

This movie gives me chills. I had heard great things about the movie, but I had no idea what I was in for when I hit the play button. The dialogue is fantastic and the cinematography, especially toward the end, is outstanding. The dulled tones in the day-to-day-life scenes completely switch gears whenever Angela comes into the picture. In Lester's fantasies, Angela is always surrounded by a plethora of roses, with bright whites in the background. Lester clearly idolizes her and associates her with a heavenly purity -- it's probably no coincidence that her name literally has the word "angel" in it.

"Venus in Fur"(2013)

OK, this film is pretty weird, but I promise it is fantastic. Based on the play of the same name, the plot centers on a sexist playwright and an unusual, opinionated young woman who auditions for the lead role in one of his productions. The entire film is just one long continuous scene, and there's only two characters, but it's an emotional rollercoaster. The cinematography, the costumes, the lighting, the plot twist at the end... it's unforgettable. Bonus: All you feminists out there will absolutely love this film.