Where Art Thou, Inspiration?

Where Art Thou, Inspiration?

16

While spring can be the time where the creative juices start to flow more readily, it's often takes a little magic to turn the molasses-like water into wine. I've found that some good ways to call upon the muses are to fill your head and heart with some spiritual and ideological nourishment. For me, that often comes from reading or listening to the world's great thinkers and doers, in the form of podcasts or webpages.

The best podcasts to get your good vibes going:

• Tim Ferriss - Tim is a start-up investor (as is obvious from his 5 min intro at the beginning of each episode. Tip: skip through that). Tim interviews experts in their feels, which means anyone from filmmaker Robert Rodriguez to BJ Novak to Rainn Wilson to a yoga expert or a fitness specialist. He asks compelling questions, but the answers are even more thought provoking. I always feel really privileged to be able to listen into such insightful conversations.
  • You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes - My friend and resident Podcast connoisseur Alistair Murray showed me this delight. Pete is similar to Tim Ferriss in that he has great conversations with very cool people, but his tend to be much more funny and laid back (Pete's a comedian). If Pete's laugh doesn't make you laugh, you're probably not listening hard enough.
  • A website to make you weep:

• Brain Pickings - Brain Pickings is the product of one woman's voracious curiousity. She reads everything--from the well-known to the obscure--and she pulls out the most brilliant ideas and shares them on this site. Her insights are often ruminations on human nature and experience, and they're really helpful to any aspiring artist.
  • A video to give you goosebumps:

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oidZ-XESijg
  • Brene Brown, the vulnerability expert, talking to Oprah is one of the most powerful inspiration micro bursts out there. This video will literally take you 20 minutes to watch, and its teachings will stay inside of you like nutrients for your soul. Thank you, Sowa, for sharing it with me.

An essay for the ages:

• Google This is Water by David Foster Wallace. If you don't already know about this essay, you probably should read it. If you've already read it, you should read it again. It's important and chill-inducing and true.
  • I hope these treasures help you mine yourself for greater treasure. Keep on creating in whatever way that might mean to you, and don't be afraid to take a stop for some inspirational fuel along the way.