An Arizonan's Response To Trump's John McCain Attacks

Mr. President, When You Come At John McCain, You Come At All Arizonans

Donald Trump told reporters the other day that he "was never a fan of John McCain" and "never will be."

951

As an Arizonan, John McCain is synonymous with courage, bravery, independence, and just being a good person. McCain was our Senator, serving for more than 30 years in the chamber. Before that, he was a congressman and served in the Navy for over 20 years. During his time in the military, he served in the Vietnam War and was captured by the North Vietnamese and was transported to the "Hanoi Hilton." He was a Prisoner of War for five-and-a-half years and was finally released in 1973.

John McCain sacrificed so much for his country, and how you can say you were "never a fan" of him is beyond me.

John McCain wasn't political all the time, he understood that politics don't make a person. People are more important than scoring political points.

On Tuesday, Trump doubled-down on his dislike of the political giant after his tweetstorm over the weekend. Trump was standing alongside the president of Brazil, who is considered the Trump of his country and South America. In 2017, McCain defied Trump and voted against the repeal of Obamacare. This still infuriates Trump to this day.

The very next day, Trump didn't let up on the late senator. He said, "I gave him the kind of funeral that he wanted, which as president I had to approve. I don't care about this. I didn't get thank you. That's OK. We sent him on the way, but I wasn't a fan of John McCain."

WE. GET. IT.

We understand that you don't like him, but keep it to yourself. You know there's a saying my mom taught me, "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all."

Trump's negativity toward McCain extends beyond 2017. In 2016, during the campaign, Trump said, "He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured." Mocking his time as a prisoner of war as if it were a choice.

Arizonans have regarded their former senator with so much respect.

After the tweetstorm from the president over the weekend, one of his daughters, Meghan McCain, said, "I just thought 'your life is spent on weekends not with your family, not with your friends but obsessing.' Obsessing over great men you could never live up to. That tells you everything you need to know about his pathetic life."

I cannot fathom how someone could still tweet that they are not a fan of someone even after their passing. Especially not from the President of the United States. No matter your political beliefs or views on policy, I think we need to take a step back and think, "Would this be acceptable if someone in my family said this?"

As an Arizonan, I know how much of an impact Senator McCain has made on not only this state but around the world. Presidents attended his funeral and world leaders sent their condolences to the McCain family. John McCain is a legend in American politics, and will never be replaced, not by anyone.