Arizona voters set to make a Big Decision before the 2020 Election

Having Mark Kelly winning the 2020 Senate Race, will officially turn both Arizona Senate seats to blue. It has been over 60 years since this has happened.

7
Photo by Element5

The 2020 election will be one of the most historically significant elections within the past couple of years. Due to the fact that voters across the country will be voting for state senators, and will determine how the next president will choose a Supreme Court Justice after the passing of Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

Arizona has always been a red state when it has come to the Presidential Election, but that itself could potentially change heading into this upcoming election.

Before the year 2000, Arizona was known as a hub where people would move to retire, but over the years that has changed.

Chad Campbell, a Democratic former state House minority leader stated "We've had a huge influx of new residents in Arizona, not just in Phoenix but in the Prescott Valley and Pima and Tucson."

The shift in demographics of residents in Arizona could have an effect in this year's election.

According to the New York Times, Arizona has been trending blue for years because of its "increasingly ethnically diverse electorate and growing Democratic strength among suburban voters."

A key turning point for Arizona Democrats was in 2018. A year which saw Democrat Kyrsten Sinema win the Class 1 Senate race against Martha McSally by a 2.4 point margin, making her the first Democrat, female, and openly bisexual senator to win a Senate race in Arizona since 1988. A month later, McSally was appointed to the Senate after former Arizona senator John McCain passed away.

The Republican seat is now up for grabs, and if Mark Kelly wins that could officially flip Arizona's representation in the Senate and change the future for not just Arizona, but for the United States.

In the latest Senate Poll by The Economist, Mark Kelly has a 88 percent chance of winning the Senate seat this November.

If Mark Kelly was to win the Class 3 senate race it would mark the first time since 1953 that two Democratic senators would hold a seat in the state.

With early voting starting up this past week, Maricopa county is seeing the biggest voter turnout out of all the counties in Arizona.

In Maricopa county, 2,922 voters casted in-person ballots on the first day of early voting marking a new record for early voting in the county. According to Maricopa County Recorder, Adrian Fontes, 2 million early ballots were sent out earlier this weekend; as of this Friday evening, more than 8,000 voters have cast their ballots in the first week of voting.

The Economist had also released polling predicting Biden winning by a two percent margin in Arizona.

Due to COVID-19, you have two options when casting your vote, you are able to mail into a secure ballot mailbox or go in person at a polling station. Check out the Maricopa County Election Department for more information on where you can drop off your mail in ballot or how you can vote in person at recorder.maricopa.gov/pollingplace/

.