We Need To Talk About Ariana Grande's 'God Is A Woman'
Music

Ariana Grande's 'God Is A Woman' Isn't Just A Song, It's A Movement

The latest single off of Grande's fourth album "Sweetener" is more than meets the eye.

220
ariana grande god is a woman music video

Ariana Grande is back. It's not like she ever left, but there was some uncertainty after the Manchester attack during her "Dangerous Woman" Tour if the triple threat was ever going to perform again. Luckily for all of us, she is a stronger person because of the events, and is back with her fourth album, "Sweetener." The pop goddess has released three singles from the forthcoming album; "No Tears Left To Cry," "The Light Is Coming" which included a feature with Nicki Minaj, and most recently, "God Is A Woman."

Grande surprised fans earlier this week with the news that GIAW was going to drop a few days earlier than planned. The song dropped at midnight on July 13th, with a music video released the morning of the 13th. To say the song is a bop would be an understatement — it is a movement.

Grande is no stranger to exploring sexuality in her songs; 2016 saw "Side To Side" and "Dangerous Woman," while 2014 saw "Hands On Me" and "Love Me Harder." "God Is A Woman," while no exception to a song about a woman owning her sexuality, breaks the boundaries a little more by introducing the world to a matter that Grande has been vocal about since the very beginning of her career. She doesn't shy away from being an outspoken feminist, known to shut down every reporter that dare say or even imply that a woman is "less than." That is what makes GIAW so special to Grande and fiancé Pete Davidson, who raves that it's his favorite song off of the album.

The video is a visual masterpiece. Grande takes several moments from history that were specific to women, and yet overshadowed by men. This blog captures the video perfectly, but let me mention briefly what Grande is portraying. At the beginning and throughout the video, Grande embodies Gaea, who is the mother of Earth and the Greek gods. She also embodies Mother Nature by implying pregnancy and showing the flourishing plants around her. She poses as the famous statue "The Thinker" while angry men throw words of hate in her direction.

Republic / YouTube

Perhaps the most powerful sequence in the video is Grande breaking the Glass Ceiling, which we all know is the barrier that keeps women and minorities from climbing the corporate ladder. This is preceded by a monologue from cult classic "Pulp Fiction," read by one of Grande's icons, and a feminist icon at that, Madonna. After the monologue is recited, Grande swings the hammer towards the sky and breaks the ceiling. Finally, the video ends in perhaps a controversial (but iconic, nonetheless) way of Grande and a group of women of all colors recreating "The Creation of Adam." It is such a powerful moment, and a powerful video we'll be watching over and over again.