Are You Happy?

Are You Happy?

You're asking yourself the wrong question

27
Are You Happy?
Tumblr

I know I've said this a million times but happiness is an emotion. It's something I've written about a lot, partly because I still have trouble grasping it.

We seem to forget that it comes and goes the same way night turns into day, rain turns into sunshine and tacos disappear when they're sitting in front of me.

Because like tacos, happiness isn't always going to be there. The only difference is that happiness doesn't cost $2.50 on Tuesday's!

Happiness isn't meant to be associated with a physical object or event. You cannot pick it up or put it down.

We go through life asking ourselves, "am I happy?" and we forget that it's merely a state of mind.

We have this notion that we will be happy once we get that job, acceptance letter or get into a relationship, and helllllooo if you've realized anything so far, that's not the case.

I get it, I have this mindset too sometimes and I have to constantly remind myself that happiness is not a place.

Write it down, tape it to your forehead, whatever you need to do to remember that!!

Sure you should actively try to be your happiest self but keep in mind that asking "are you happy?" Or "am I happy?" is a counterproductive question.

Instead ask, will this aid to my happiness? How can I become my best self? What do I need to be content with my life?

Happiness isn't meant to be everlasting. It comes and goes. I mean do we walk around asking ourselves and others "are you sad?" No.

Well, maybe some of you do and if you're doing that, please just stop... it's weird.

Content, however, can be everlasting. So to those out there questioning their happiness, I will leave you with this; are you content?

If you're nodding your head yes then congratulations, you're doing better than you thought!

If you find yourself unsure, sit down, take a piece of paper and make two columns. Write what brings you happiness in the first column and in the second write down what you need in your life to feel content.

Now reread the first column every day and always remind yourself of life's simple joys.

As for the second column, if what you need in order to live a content life is attainable and out there, what are you waiting for?

Go get it and don't stop until you do.