Are We There Yet?

Are We There Yet?

Why it's OK to be ready to graduate.

17
Are We There Yet?
FreeImages.com

It's the end of February and I already feel like I should be enjoying Spring Break. Scratch that... I should be enjoying Summer Break.

Let's be honest. I'm just ready to graduate.

Considering it's the spring semester of my junior year, I still have quite a while until I walk across the stage and do a victory dance (or a back flip) with my diploma.

We are told countless times in our young adult lives that we should enjoy our college years...take in our college years...not rush our college years. But, I'm here to tell you, it's OK to just want to be done.

Here are just a few reasons why:

1. You're tired of people telling you cliches. The few mentioned above just scratch the surface of the hundreds of cliches you are told by our parents, relatives, and educators. While they are true, you are doing the best you can to make the most of your college career. You are involved in campus organizations, support your athletic teams, and maybe you've even helped plan some events. At this point, however, you are tired and sleep is a priority. Campus movie nights are not.

So, you courteously laugh when your Aunt Judy tells you how much she wishes she could be 21 again, and move on.

2.You've worked hard for your grades, and you've spent the night in the campus library more times than you can remember. Your sleeping habits would shock most MD's. You have a chair in the corner of the library where you daydream about taking naps in during your two-hour lecture on how to research (AKA... Google search). The days of winging tests are far behind you, and Google no longer helps with your assignments. At this point, you feel like you could teach some of the classes you are in, yet you still find yourself in the library when they announce they are about to turn off the lights for the night. It's days like these when you think about what it would be like to work a 9 to 5 and leave your worries in an office.

3. You've been told your place in the job market for the past four years. Yes, you know you might just be getting coffee and copying files with your bachelors degree. The economy is bad and employers are looking for candidates with three to five years of experience right out of college. You have to start somewhere to get that experience, and at this point, you are fine with picking up someone's dry cleaning. At least you won't be praying that you won't get a ticket for parking in a faculty's parking spot (because they claim 90 percent of the spots on campus).

4. Your graduated friends tell you about the glorious life outside of college. OK, you aren't naive. You know that the post-graduation life comes with a lot of responsibilities. There are big student loans to pay back, big decisions to be made, and big girl panties to be put on. Honestly, you can't wait to put that degree behind your name and feel like what you have to say is important. Then, you can tell people how awesome life is when you don't have to wake up at 4:55 a.m. to register for classes.

Maybe when you get that diploma, you can even sit at the grown up table at Thanksgiving.

The next time you and your anxious friends look at your graduation date and ask, "Are we there yet?" Remember, yes, you almost are. So try to smile and make it.