Archaeologists discover new Dead Sea Scrolls cave

No scrolls were found, however.

12
The Times of Israel

In what has been dubbed one of the most important discoveries in 60 years, archaeologists have uncovered a cave that one housed Dead Sea Scrolls.

The Dead Sea Scrolls were written between the 3rd century B.C. to the 1st century A.D. They even include the oldest known manuscripts of the Hebrew Bible.

While the first sea scrolls were found in the Qumran caves near the Dead Sea between 1947 and 1956, no scrolls were discovered in this newly discovered cave. Archaeologists at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem still have hope that they'll find others.

"This discovery of a 12th cave could revolutionize the information we have on the Dead Sea Scrolls," Hebrew University archaeologist Oren Gutfeld told AFP. He also regarded it as one of the "most important" discoveries since the last Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered in 1956.

While no scrolls were discovered, archaeologists did discover pieces of pottery and leather straps that were used to contain the scrolls.

Archaeologists also discovered head of pickaxes, leading many to assume the cave may have been looted at one point.

The artifacts are mostly kept at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem. Some of the larger pieces are displayed at the dimly lit Shrine of the Book.

[via Yahoo News]