This Apple Crisp Shortbread Bar ​Recipe Is PERFECT For Fall

This Apple Crisp Shortbread Bar Recipe Is PERFECT For In Between Fall Campfires and Winter Incense

That sacred month filled dreams of wrapping yourself in a blanket and drinking a cinnamon hot chocolate.

14006

There are foods for Thanksgiving and foods for Christmas but what about that sacred month between the two, filled dreams of wrapping yourself in a blanket and drinking a cinnamon hot chocolate?

When we see a recipe, we know immediately what mood we have to be in to make it.

Usually, matcha is for the springtime and pumpkin is for the fall. Banana bread is for the bored months in April. Frozen cookie dough is for the hot months of July.

But what do we make of the time between holidays?

Surely, there are traditional tastes for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.

Do the tastes drag out until the next holiday comes or are there recipes specifically for the moments in between?

When I think of the moist taste of shortbread stacked underneath a gooey cinnamon apple topping, I think of friends sitting outside even though it's gotten cold.

Enjoy the clear air and peaceful night sky. I think of people who are rubbing their hands together but laughing heartily.

This apple shortbread crisp recipe originally from Sober Julie puts me in the immediate for the mood of friends in the last months of the year.

9 Servings // Prep Time: 25 minutes // Bake Time: 45 Minutes

Shortbread Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour

Apple Filling Ingredients:

• 3 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Topping Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted or room temperature

Directions:

1. Cream 1/2 cup butter in mixer, for about 5 minutes until butter is white. Mix in 1/4 cup granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add in 1 cup flour, until dough is well combined and sticky.
  2. Press mixture evenly into 8x8 parchment-lined pan. Bake at 300℉ for 15 minutes.
  3. Slice apples into centimeter thick wedges.
  4. In a bowl, combine apples, 2 tablespoons flour, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Coat apples evenly.
  5. In another bowl, mix 1/2 cup flour and brown sugar. Cut in 1/4 cup butter and knead together.
  6. Remove crust from oven.
  7. Sprinkle one half of topping over shortbread. Layer the apples on top. Sprinkle remainder of topping evenly on top.
  8. Bake at 350℉ for 30 minutes.
  9. Remove from oven and allow to cool fully.
  10. Place in fridge to set for at least 2 hours.
  11. Once set, remove from baking dish by lifting out parchment paper.

Notes:

• Lasts for one week in fridge.