How Guided Meditation Is Helping My Anxiety

We should all take a moment out of every day.

3

I downloaded my first meditation app two days ago. And so far, meditation has not been what I had been told: opening your mind to the universe, leaving it open for all kinds of things and evil spirits to come in. And maybe meditation can be used by Buddhism, Taoism, and other Eastern religions. But in my very limited experience, meditation has mostly been some controlled breathing, focusing on how the body feels, and relaxing it along with your brain.

I finally decided to try meditation when I was trying to calm a bout of intense anxiety. My anxiety tends to be brought on and fueled by overthinking, spiraling until I reach essentially a state of frenzied thinking. Once in this state, I need to calm my thoughts before I am able to focus on good and true things to help combat the root of my anxiety. If I try to think of true and comforting things without calming my brain first, they don't replace the negative thoughts swirling; they just add to the chaos and the noise.

So, I started using YouTube calming videos and compilations of white noise and calming music. This helped, but it was more of a distraction that eventually calmed me down, rather than a specific calming exercise. So I started using the Headspace app's free sessions. And it really helps. I can't speak to everything the app has to offer, but my experience so far has been good.

If anxiety or worry is something that you struggle with, I would suggest giving meditation a try. This isn't a carte blanc recommendation; please use discernment, but taking the time to slow down, sort your thoughts, and calm down both your body and mind is invaluable in the business of life.

Disclaimer: I am not claiming that meditation cures anxiety disorders. I am simply sharing an anxiety management tool.