Andrew Luck - A Career Worth Respecting

Andrew Luck - A Career Worth Respecting

Despite Luck's early retirement from the NFL, he will always be revered for his work ethic and drive to win

1

For all those fans out there who felt disrespected and upset with the sudden retirement of Colts quarterback Andrew Luck should take a step back and rethink those unsettling emotions. For starters, Luck was not placed on this planet to be our personal form of entertainment. He is a person, just like you and I. He has a life outside of football and I am sure he wants to be able to enjoy it as much as he can without experiencing the detrimental effects he endured during his turbulent football career.

I am not a Colts fan in the slightest, however, after watching my Buffalo Bills, a team that is notorious for its physical style of play, play week in and week out I can say I do respect a competitive individual. Luck was always a guy who was revered in the league for his hard-nosed play and competitive drive. He is someone that surely will not be forgotten. He endured a lot of hits, but more importantly, he would bounce back with a smile on his face.

Following his retirement, it is with great disappointment that Colts fans booed Andrew Luck as he walked off the field and it is actually heartbreaking to watch. Could you imagine dedicating your life to a team and a game only to have your most loyal followers boo your decision to retire? I'd be bawling my eyes out. I know the fans are angry, disappointed, sad, etc. but their reaction was not OK. How about cheers for the man that helped your team go 10-6 last season? You sure as hell didn't see Eli Manning, Jameis Winston, or Blake Bortles do that, just to name a few teams whose record was worse than 10-6.

This man gave all of his years in the NFL playing for the Colts. He suffered a plethora of injuries during his time as a quarterback ranging from a sprained shoulder to a lacerated kidney and most recently a calf strain. Yet, people are acting like he was the worst quarterback of all time, that he's giving up on his team, and he is calling it quits because rehabbing is "too hard."

I wish the best for Andrew Luck as he approaches the next phase of his life beyond playing football. I know that whatever it is he chooses to do, he will tackle it head-on with the same energy and enthusiasm he brought to the football day each and every day. Whether it be commentating, where many former professional football players have found budding careers, or as a coach, I am sure that he will be welcomed with open arms and will unequivocally climb up the ranks in his future profession.