An Open Letter to the Person Who Says I Need a Man

I'm strong and independent not a damsel in distress.

190
Prawny

To The Person Who Thought I Couldn't.

You thought that I would be some damsel in distress, but I'm not.

You thought that I wouldn't be able to figure out how to change a tire or remember to get my oil changed, but I can. I used to think that you were helping me by fixing things for me and now I know that you just did it because you thought I couldn't. "It's a man's job to [insert end of sexist comment here]." I don't need a man to do things for me, I want a man to be my partner; I don't need a "Mr. Fix-it" because I can fix it myself.

This belief that you hold that women need men is just your way of justifying the existence of men, but you don't need to. Men are important for who they are as people not because they can open jars and mow the lawn. You don't even realize that you are disparaging your own gender when you say women need men as if all men are good for is taking care of women. I know you think that you are trying to take care of me and that your antiquated ideals are well-intentioned, but we both know where good intentions pave the way to...

There is a difference between helping someone because you want to be nice and helping someone because you think they can't do it themselves, so I'm trying to tell you that I can do it myself.

I'm not trying to seem ungrateful, I do appreciate that you remember when I need to have my oil changed and that you try to fix my heart when it breaks; I just need you to understand that I'm not incapable of doing things on my own. I need you to know that I am not made of glass or paper.

I need you to believe in me, not because I can't survive without you, but because I can.