An Open Letter To The Grandmothers

An Open Letter To The Grandmothers

The superhero's in the family.

71
An Open Letter To The Grandmothers
https://www.pexels.com/search/grandmas/

Whether your grandkids call you nana, grandmother, yaya, mammi, they all mean the same. Those names signify that you yourself are a grandmother and that means you have done something right in the world. You now have someone to spoil, love and cherish for the rest of the time given to each of you.

The number one thing you'll hear well come from your kids. They will tell their kids (your grandchildren) that you have not always been this nice, that they did not get dessert before dinner and that they did not get the toy they wanted the first time they asked. You'll roll your eyes and pretend not to know what they are talking about. You no longer have to bring down the hammer. Your jobs now is to bring joy and peace away from the new disciplinary.

The next thing you'll hear is that you are too old to keep up with the little things. While you may not be in your 20's 30's or even 40's anymore, do not let anyone say you are not allowed to play in the lawn or on the sidewalk. Your grandkids keep you young and hearing their laughs erases all the worries in the world.

The last thing you'll hear is that your grandchildren need a babysitter. Not that this is a burden to you at all. A weekend at nana's is what everyone needs sometimes. The parents need it, the children need it and you definitely need it. Spending time with them keeps everyone sane for a little bit until they're back for the next weekend.

A lot of the times you have to make the hard decisions and no longer be the grandmother, you have to be the mother. You have to start over and be the parent one more time. These are the times where your true colors show and you step up to the plate. The most courageous and selfless grandmothers are the ones who open up their homes to their grandchildren in more than just one day.

You teach your grandchildren. You teach them their heritage and where they come from. You show them the history of your life through your wrinkles and smile lines. You show them how to work hard for what they want, and teach them the manners you grew up with. You also get to teach them all the fun stuff. You get to be your grandchild's friend and protector.

You deserve a very warm thank you. You have shown how gentle and kind the world can be. You sneak the cookies, late night giggles, and a safe place to go. A grandmother is a blessing and a wonderful thing to have in your life. They are some of the few good things in life, so you need to make sure you cherish the time you have left with yours. They are not a dime a dozen but a diamond in the rough.