An Open Letter to The Girl Who Moves Back Home

Everything the girl who moves back home needs to know from a girl who moved back home.

35

It happened. You finally hit your breaking point. You might be so consumed with being homesick that you find it hard to get out of bed. You may be struggling with making friends and are going days without speaking to anyone besides your Mom on the phone. You could be wondering how you're going to make it another four years in this place when the first two months have seemed so unbearable. I've been there.

I was there on a sunny Tuesday afternoon as I packed my laptop, a hoodie, and a hairbrush into my bookbag and locked my bedroom door for the last time as a student there. I remember driving for two hours to my hometown with no real plan or idea of why I was driving home. At the time, I just wanted to hug my parents because I was hurting so badly.

I remember the car ride to my brother's football game and my Dad asking what would make me happy. I had no response other than moving back home, which seemed so terrifying and unrealistic at the time. I had just started college. The withdraw-passing deadline had passed. I was locked into a twelve-month lease at the time unless I found a person to sublease.

I will never be able to thank my parents for the kindness they showed me that day. They were the strong ones in this situation and wanted me to be okay. Their two conditions for me moving home was for me to find a job ASAP and for me to enroll in classes at a local college. I did both things without hesitation.

I worked and went to school in my hometown for eight months before I moved to a new college that had ironically been the first choice for me before I was accepted into the one I left. My experience here has been so much different than my first one, and I am forever thankful to my parents for being by my side and supporting me in everything I do.

If you are reading this and you just moved back home or you are sitting in a college apartment wondering how you can get through this, you can. I am living proof that leaving a place where you feel dead can make you feel so alive. I know that I was blessed to have parents who supported my decision and I know some people do not, but if you can find any way to move back home or wherever you are happiest, do it. Transfer home. Enjoy time with your family and your hometown friends. Take the time to work a part-time job you love and never take it for granted. Save your money, and when the time is right, you'll be ready for your next big move. Do whatever makes you happy. You might be sitting somewhere a year from now writing a post just like this to help the next class of freshman who are terrified, confused, or lost