To The Kids Who Were Adopted

To The Kids Who Were Adopted

Welcome to the family.

196
To The Kids Who Were Adopted

If you were to ask an adoptee what their favorite thing about being adopted is, they might say feeling love for the first time. They might reply with, "I found a home." They're not wrong. When love takes you in, everything changes. You start to belong, you start to feel love like no other.

My favorite day in the year is not my birthday or Christmas or even Thanksgiving. My favorite day is May 16. May 16 may seem like an ordinary day to you, but to my family and I, it's a beautiful day. It is the day that I realized miracles are real, that they really do exist. My last name transformed from Woods to Barron. I had no idea what that symbolized then, as I was only four years old. Today, I can tell you my last name has a big meaning.

Being adopted does not mean you were not wanted. It simply means your forever family is out there, and you will call something home one day. It may not be a room with four walls — it might be two beautiful eyes and a smile to die for.

Being adopted and being taken from your biological family is not necessarily a bad thing. You were given a fresh start in life. You will feel love like you never have before.

Social workers are not bad people. Social workers are there to make sure you have a better life. They are not just there to take away children, they are trying to help. Sometimes, the child even remains in the home, depending on the circumstances.

Being adopted is not something to be ashamed of — it makes you a stronger person. Some people will look at you differently, like you have three heads, and that is okay. At the end of the day, you are changing your future. You are creating the life that you dreamed of. In fact, your dreams might even come true.

Being adopted is something special. It is not about being spoiled or getting everything you may have dreamed about. It is the never-ending court battles, and your forever family is going to fight so hard to bring you home. Why? They want you. They choose you.

From one adoptee to another, this life is pretty beautiful. The forever families we get to call ours' are huge blessings.

In fact, Marilyn Monroe was adopted. Along with Steve Jobs, Faith Hill, Eleanor Roosevelt, Babe Ruth, and many more.

We may have a title that says "adopted" but that does not change anything. This life is ours now, and it is time to make the absolute best of it.