An Open Letter to My Sister

An Open Letter to My Sister

As I embark on the biggest journey of my life, here's a letter to my partner in crime.

73

Dear Madison,

This summer has just been flying by, and before we even knew it, here we are-- just three weeks away from me leaving for my biggest adventure yet. When I told you and mom and dad my decision to study abroad in England for my graduate program, it was just a farfetched dream. None of us knew how much work it would take to make it a reality. I was determined to do what it took to make it happen, and now, I finally did. You were my cheerleader and supporter through it all. No matter how many times you pretended to be mad at me, or asked me what you were going to do without me, I knew it was just because you are going to miss me. I also know that you were rooting for me the whole time.

There's some things I want you to know, and I will continue to remind you of every day. You are my best friend. My confidante. The person who makes me laugh until I think I'll cry. I can be 100% myself around you, no matter how ridiculous, silly, or stupid that might look to anyone around us. No matter how far away I am physically, I will ALWAYS be there for you. You are so special, so loved, and so important. You can do anything you set your mind to. High school can be a hard time, but don't let anyone let you feel "less than".

It is my hope every day that I inspire you. I hope that I can be half the role model that you deserve. I hope that you come to me with anything-- no matter how stupid, serious, scary, or embarrassing. I hope I have taught you how to fight for what you really want in life and make it happen. You have no idea how proud I am of the woman you are becoming. You are fierce, smart, kind, talented, athletic, and wise beyond your years. Your accomplishments bring me so much joy, and I brag constantly about how lucky I am to have a sister like you to share my life with.

Most importantly, if you thought you could get rid of me this easily, you must not know me as well as I thought you did. You're still going to get texts of memes, FaceTime calls, and you had better send me snaps of the pups. I will always just be a phone call away.

I hope that I made your summer amazing. I won't forget our beach trips, Playa Bowl lunches, Starbucks runs and card games. Thank you for making my life fuller and making me the luckiest big sister alive.

I could say much much more, but you already know.

I love you most.

Rach