An Open Letter to My Preschoolers

An Open Letter to My Preschoolers

I don’t want to walk away.

17
An Open Letter to My Preschoolers

I know the chance of any of them seeing this or truly understanding it is slim to none, however I'm going to write it anyway.

For a little over a year, I have been working at a Montessori school. When I first started I had hoped to work with the school age students most of the time, after all they were only there in the afternoon and that's when I could work. My first few shifts were in the school age classroom. Then they needed someone to cover Tuesday and Wednesday shifts at the infant toddler building. I was hesitant at first because I had no experience with infants and toddlers except for seeing my niece nephew for a total of probably 36 hours. It was pretty crazy working with them, but I started to love it.

When summer came around, I started working everyday. The beginning of my shift was with preschool and the second half of my shift was with school age. I spent most of my time with school age though and bonded with them more that the preschoolers. When the semester started I continued to work everyday. They needed someone for the closing shift in preschool who would also take some of the school age students if there were too many to have upstairs. I already knew all of the preschoolers from working with them at the pool over the summer, but I was so nervous to work with them in the classroom.

Now it's been five months, and I can't believe it's only been five months. I love these kids so much. Yes, 90% of them drive me absolutely insane most days. There's a point in almost every shift where I am almost in tears because they just won't listen, but despite all the stress and trouble they give me, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Yesterday one of them wiped poop on the wall, I'm constantly asking them to keep their hands to themselves, we have a few that will sit and scream if they don't like what they are being asked to do, but I would take all of that if it meant I could still be their teacher.

I'm still going to be a substitute, but I am now student teaching so my availability is almost nonexistent. I'm going to have to stop by after student teaching some days just because I'm going to miss them so much.

I'm going to miss how excited they get when I walk in that door at 2:30 everyday. Before I even step foot in the classroom they are yelling Miss Bri and trying to tell me stuff. I'm going to miss all the hugs and having one (or three) of them attached to my legs. I'm going to miss the post nap snuggles when they come back to the classroom after nap and immediately want me to pick them up. I'm going to miss how creative and goofy they are, and how smart they are. These kids are between 3 and 5, but I've learned so much from them. They know more about so many random things than I do.

It's been an amazing five months and I'm not ready to not see them everyday.

So to my preschoolers, if you ever see this, I love each and every one of you so much and I'm going to miss you more than you could ever know.