An Open Letter To My Family On Thanksgiving

Every family has a story to tell... Welcome to ours!

1840
Google

As the holidays are rolling just around the corner, I have so much to be thankful for. I for one, am an incredibly loving and happy person, but the one thing I must admit I lack is acknowledging how thankful I am for my family, and everything they have given me. I have certainly gone through my ups and downs, but every time something bad happens, they are immediately there to help me pick up from where I started and motivate me to keep going. I have never seen a greater support system that knows when to be serious in certain instances, but also knows how to make me laugh for hours on end.

While I am writing, I cannot wipe my huge smile off my face. As I travel home for the first time this school year to be home for the holidays, I cannot believe I have not constantly said thank you to them. My family certainly isn’t perfect, but neither is anyone’s. We work around our differences and become this tight-knit group of people that at the end of the day are always there for each other.

I cannot begin to explain how sorry I am for only realizing this now, but after being given an amazing opportunity to study at the University of Maryland, I have been able to meet so many different people that have come from such different backgrounds. I am so thankful to be able to tell all my new friends about the amazing parents that raised me, and the three fabulous sisters I was fortunate to grow up with. I have not felt this lucky in such a long time, but secretly I was extremely thankful the whole time.

To my sisters - I know sometimes I can be the worst, but just know that everything I do is out of love. There is nothing I would not do for any of you and growing up with you for the past 18 and a half years have been nothing less than amazing! You are all so smart, kind and compassionate in different ways and I cannot wait to find the passion you all have in what you love. You guys truly have spoiled me. I love you all endlessly.

To my parents - Thanks for raising me the way you did. At a very young age you taught me to work hard in order to be successful and that surely has paid off. You have been by my side every step of the way, and I could not ask for any more help than you both have given me. Thanks for being amazing role models and showing me that I can achieve greatness. I cannot wait to continue celebrating the holidays with you every year, and yes, I will be the child to take care of you when you are old and drooling!!

Overall, I am so thankful for the opportunity’s my family has granted me and their kind hearts that want me to achieve any goals I may have ever had. Thanks for being everything I could ever ask for and more! I could not be any more thankful for the opportunities you all have opened my eyes to, and to be forced to wipe away the tears streaming from my eyes right now! I love you all so much! Happy Thanksgiving!