When You Give a Girl a Sister

When You Give a Girl a Sister

An Ode to My Built-In BFF

23
When You Give a Girl a Sister
Grayson Hunter

I was four years old when my Queen Bee status was snatched away from me before I could even say the word "Avery." I was not very excited about another human being taking away even an inkling of the attention that was supposed to be reserved for yours truly slight possibility I am still this way) (("slight" lol)). So I went to the hospital, put on the "I'm a Big Sister" t-shirt, and helped welcome into the world the tiny person who would later become my "ride or die" if you will.

Some of my very favorite baby memories with Avery are as follows:

I drew all over her entire room with a red marker, including on her door and under her crib. That'll teach you to steal away my attention smh.

I tried shoving Fruit Loops in her mouth while saying "Eat it, baby, eat it" before she even had teeth. In my defense, I think at that point I was genuinely trying to warm up to her by sharing my cereal. It was an effort, ok. Give me a break.

When she could finally crawl, I wanted her to experience the glory that was my bunk bed with the cool secret hideout underneath. Upon her arrival to the top, she fell between the bed and the wall to the ground. So much for our first sister bunk-bed adventure. She's alive to tell the tale, I promise!

As the years have gone on, I no longer mourn (or really remember) the days of being an only child. Having a sister has brought more joy, adventure, and blessing into my life than I would have ever dreamed. One of my biggest encouragements for anyone with siblings going off to college soon is to simply dwell in the gift of sisters. You'll miss them wayyyy more than you know.

In more recent years, Ave and I have made the very best sister mems. These days, you can find us making Instagram live videos, jamming to "That Girl" by Justin Timberlake or "Ignition (Remix)" by R. Kelly, being mistaken for who's older (it's fine. I'm fine), trying to cook together, or posing the perfect "post-worthy" sister pic.

I am better because of ya, and I cannot imagine life without ya, sweet Ave :) GO SISTERS!!