Open Letter To My People

Open Letter To My People

36
Open Letter To My People

There are certain people in your life where everything just clicks. You never run out of things to talk about but you can also sit next to each other on your phones for hours in silence. You may not be all that similar, but for some reason it just works. Your friendship with them makes you wonder why you ever spent time hanging out with people you only sort of liked. Because these people are your honest to god soulmates, and no one better than them could possibly exist on the planet. Can you tell I love my best friends? And, yes, there have been eight million articles with the same premise as the article you’re about to read, but I feel as if I would be doing the greatness of my best friends a disservice if I didn't share with the world just how incredible they are.

To my people,

Thank you for always being there -- through the bangs and chubby phase, to the Justin Bieber/One Direction phase, to the stressed out applying to college phase. No matter what time, I know I can call you to ask for advice about my school friends, my classes (or if I should put my laundry on delicate or warm when I’m too embarrassed to ask my mom because I have been doing my own laundry for six months now). There’s something pretty special about having friends you know will drop anything at a blink in the eye to help you with whatever you need. It’s also pretty special to love and care about certain people so much that you’re willing to do that for them.

Thank you for being you. I love your weirdo, beautiful, hilarious selves more than most things on this planet. I love how happy you guys are and make me. I never feel vulnerable or awkward around you. I’m the truest form of myself. I love the person you are and the person I become when I’m around you. Thank you for bringing out the best in me (even if you can’t bring out the best dance moves in me).

Thank you for being honest with me -- like when you were the first one to tell me that boy was not a good idea, no matter how much I thought I liked him. Or when you told me that those shoes I really wanted to compulsively online buy during finals week just weren’t worth it. I love that we can be completely and totally open with each other. We passed the whole being polite stage when I started letting myself into your house, and your fridge. You know me better than anyone else (besides, maybe, my mom). I won't lie, sometimes it scares me when you tell me exactly what I wanted, and needed, to hear.

Thank you for being my people and the best friends I’ve ever had. I hope you’re crying by now (that may or may not have been my goal). Thank you for being the closest thing I’ve ever had to sisters. I can’t wait to throw you a bachelorette party of the century someday, make sure “the one” is really worthy, and wreck havoc in the nursing home together.

Love you forever,
Your person (who totally wishes she was as great as you).