American vs French review of Emily in Paris

Netflix Original

23
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/02/style/Emily-in-Paris.html

As Americans, we all know the very cliche romance Paris is perceived as and we have seen endless references about the beauty of said city so it was not surprising how popular the new Netflix original series was at least to the female American population. As an American college woman I knew who cringe and cliche the show was going to be and how stereotypical all the characters and also the plot would be. However, of course, I binged watched it and loved all the corniness of it all. Even my friends were raving about how cute the show was and the music in the show was amazing. Yet, being American watching a very stereotypical show about Paris, of course, I liked it but for the French, they thought completely differently.

I read a few articles about Parisian commentary about the show and the overwhelming response was they found it ridiculous and comical. From the beret, the cocktail dresses, and the impeccable streets it was hard for Parisians to see their everyday city. The show is so inaccurate on how life is like in Paris because first off 'Emily' (the main character) would not be in charge of teaching a french company new skills, she wouldn't be able to afford fancy outfits and shoes to wear every day, and there would be no way for her to come work at a company in France without speaking any french.

With all the comments about the endless cliche after cliche, the show seems to be made to point out those little stereotypes in a fun and modern way. Though the views of the show from both American and Parisian audiences it seems to still be a cute pick me up to show that may end up with multiple seasons.