The All-American Summer Bucket List After Spending A Semester Abroad

Activities and goals for myself over the next few months.

401
Eliese Haerle

After being abroad for over three months, I am more than thrilled to be coming back to the United States. Summer is now just beginning for most college students and I cannot wait to complete some of the following activities on my bucket list this year.

1. Try the new In-N-Out burger

From the moment of its announcement, I have been patiently waiting to get my hands on the new In-N-Out California burger. Though I'll only be in my home state of CA for less than a week, I plan on taking advantage of it by giving this beauty a try.

2. Kick ass at my internship

This summer I will be interning for ConceptDrop in Chicago, and I am beyond thrilled! I'm looking forward to working with such great people and gaining the tools needed to succeed in this field of business.

3. Go to the Nutella Cafe

Since I will be in Chicago for the summer, what better way to get acclimated than by going to the infamous Nutella Cafe? Although I have been to this city previously, I still have yet to make my way over to the Nutella Cafe. Look out Nutella crepes, I'm coming for you.

4. Go out to the bars

This past semester I turned 21 years old. Unfortunately, because I was in the UK it basically meant nothing. Now that I'll be returning to the US I'm excited to finally go to a bar and order a drink.

5. Go to the Millennium Park Summer Music Series

I was briefly in Chicago last summer and going to see a concert in Millennium Park was one of my favorite activities. You can bring your own picnic and a bottle of wine and relax as you're entertained by talented musicians. How can you say no to that?

6. Go to the beach

I would ideally like to go to the beach in both states this summer. I haven't been home for such a long time and going to one of those well-known San Diego beaches makes me more than content. I can't wait to go on my walks searching for shells! Of course, I'd also be willing to check out the "beach" in Chicago as well.

7. See Bruno Mars

I noticed that he will be performing at Lolla this summer. I don't know how, but I'm going to make this happen. I am a huge fan of his music, and if I'm already in the area, why not take advantage of it?

8. Finish my study abroad video

Like many others, over the course my time abroad I took several videos. My goal is to use iMovie and create a small montage of them. I'm really unsure how long this is going to take me, as I will be super busy this summer, but I'm hoping to finish it up by August before going back to school.

9. Be more spontaneous

I tend to stick to the things I know well. This includes people, foods, activities, etc. My goal this summer is to step more out of my comfort zone and try and do things that are more unplanned. I tend to get stressed if things don't go as expected, so I'm going to attempt to do things with no expectations and hope they work out for the best.

10. Start singing again

Singing is something I've always loved doing but haven't done in a while. I was so busy and tied up with other things going on in my life that I didn't really take a lot of time to pursue things that I really enjoyed.

I'm looking forward to this summer, and I'm open to whatever happens. For now, I'm trying to savor my last days overseas and get pumped for these next coming months.