Why American Horror Story Is So Relatable

This series is not all about horror.

71

American Horror Story. Despite the title, the show speaks to our true desires as a mixture of horror, sci-fi, drama and even comedy at times. After watching every season of the series, I have found how each season relates to our own lives in some way. Although it may seem a tad strange, each season can relate to us in particular ways.

The first season of American Horror Story was titled Murder House. Unlike the name may suggest, the characters are not murdered when they step into the house although deaths have occurred and will come in the future. One of the first things that I noticed is how easily a marriage can become shaky when one of the partners is involved in an affair. The Harmon family did not decide to move into this murder house until the wife gains knowledge about the affair. Although we may not have been affected by extramarital affairs before, many of us know people who have been afflicted in some way. Outside of the Harmon family is a boy named Tate who becomes romantically involved with the daughter of the Harmon family, Viola. Tate has suffered from depression for quite some time which led him to murder numerous people inside the school after bringing a shotgun to use. What I had realized from viewing this is how depression cannot only affect people by causing them to harm themselves, but it is also an extremely viable cause for some to hurt others. Their depression causes these people to become angry at the world and think that others may deserve punishment, just as they are being punished by this mental disease. Although we probably do not know of anyone who has done something like this before, I would be surprised if you did not understand how it feels to be so angry at someone that you would want revenge. You may not actually be angered by them but perhaps something they did acted as a trigger to bring out your depression. The third and final realization I made was how ironic life’s events may turn out to be. The mother, Vivian, had a miscarriage in the beginning of the season about the same time as her husband’s affair. Later on, however, she conceives twins. Although one of the twins turns out to be evil, she was blessed with ample fertility after being heartbroken by her child leaving her while it was in the womb. We have all experienced ironic life events and this proves just how ironic life can be.

The second season of the series is titled Asylum. It takes place in Briarcliff Mental Institution who houses those that they deem as mentally ill. I have discovered one true lesson from this season that seems to encompass the true meaning of each episode. It is a phrase that you have most likely heard ever since you were a child. What goes around, comes around and this has been proven true by what happens to Briarcliff along with its employees. The patients, who are already dealing with abundant mental issues, are neglected at the institution and are not treated very well. They have done nothing wrong but are treated very poorly throughout their stay at Briarcliff. Their pain, however, becomes restituted. Several of the doctors who work at the asylum experience death, whether it be by murder or suicide. Following these deaths, one of the characters, who is a successful journalist, is able to get Briarcliff shut down because of its inhuman treatments of the patients. Everyone and everything bad about this season ends up disappearing for their punishment.

The third season revolves around a group of witches and is titled Coven. One of the discoveries that I made during this season is just how selfish we, as humans, can truly be. The Supreme, the leader of the coven and the most powerful of the witches, becomes frightened when another potential supreme is spotted inside the group. She does not want to step down from her throne so she ends up killing the next Supreme in order to preserve her high stature. She does this, not because the woman is a bad person, but because she may become more powerful than she would be. Additionally, I was able to discover just how good karma can repay good people back. After the first potential Supreme was murdered, another witch, by the name of Cordelia, is named as the next Supreme. She is very good natured and she brings out the coven to the world. With her elevation in stature, the first Supreme is diagnosed with terminal cancer and ends up passing away from this disease. When you are a good person, fates will surely play you the right cards. Bad karma, along with this positive karma, also plays an important role in this season. The Axeman, who had murdered countless people for his own pleasure, is killed by the witches so that he may not continue on with his cruel enjoyment. A group of witch hunters are also murdered by the coven so that they may continue on with both their magic and lives without the looming threat of these men.

The fourth season of this series, titled Freakshow, was not as popular as the others but delivered an important message to all of the viewers. The deformed actors were named freaks, no matter what their internal nature was like. Some of the freaks are bad people but some are also very good people. Throughout their lives filled with numerous turns of events, it is proven that even if you are thought of differently, perhaps as strange, you have the power to live life the way that you want to no matter the thoughts of other people.

The fifth season of this show is titled Hotel. Just as the name states, it takes place inside a notorious hotel. One of the most exciting parts about this season involves the cast. Lady Gaga is selected to play the role of the main character. Although there are several characters who possess a grim nature, some of them are repaid with their bad karma. For example, a character who supplies another with heroin was later killed by one of the hotel’s guests. Additionally, I realized just how dangerous jealousy can be. When a lesbian woman discovers her former lover with a man, she becomes so jealous that she ends up deceasing the man. This proves just how volatile jealousy can be. Additionally, several children appear as vampires in this season. They are forced to leave their families and live amongst fellow vampires with Lady Gaga, the Countess. Their families, however, miss them dearly. It was shown just how much love can endure.

Even though all of these seasons teach different lessons to the audience, they all attempt to teach the same one. This is that no matter who you are and what you have done that you will always be repaid for your actions. There is truly a reason for everything.