America the Beautiful

America the Beautiful

Travel the USA.

39
America the Beautiful
Odyssey

The United States is so vast, with each state having unique characteristics and sites to see. It is a country filled with history and beauty, which can be found throughout National Parks, museums, monuments, and within towns. Over the past few weeks, we toured forty of the fifty states. This week, we wrap up our tour with the final 10!

Looking for things to do in the Northeastern United States? Check out part one of this five-part article series: America the Beautiful: Part 1 of 5

The Southeastern United States? Check out part two of this five-part article series: America the Beautiful: Part 2 of 5

The Western United States? Check out part three of this five-part article series: America the Beautiful: Part 3 of 5

The Midwestern United States? Check out part four of this five-part article series: America the Beautiful: Part 4 of 5

This week, we are wrapping up our tour across this great nation with states in the midwest and eastern coast:

1. Iowa

Known as the Hawkeye State, Iowa is home to many unique and interesting things to do. You can visit the farm turned movie set for the popular movie Field of Dreams. Here, you can tour the farm and field. If you decide to visit in August, be sure to check out the Iowa State Fair and its famous butter cow! Also worth mentioning are the Amana Colonies, Maquoketa Caves State Park, the Grotto of Redemption, which is the world's largest grotto, the American Gothic House, and the Boone and Scenic Valley Railroad.

2. Missouri

One of Missouri's most popular cities is St. Louis. While in St. Louis you can visit the Gateway Arch, Busch Stadium, the Anheuser-Busch Brewery, the National Blues Museum, the St. Louis Zoo, and Lafayette Park, just to name a few of the many things to do. You can also visit Grant's Farm, which was the former Busch family estate. It is now home to over 100 species of animals! Other popular things to do in Missouri include visiting the Mark Twain Boyhood Home & Museum, Fantastic Caverns, Talking Rocks Cavern, the Pony Express Museum, Elephant Rocks State Park, and the Titanic Museum.

3. Illinois

To quote Frank Sinatra, one town that won't let you down in Illinois is Chicago. Chicago is home to the 2016 World Series Champion Cubs and the friendly confines of Wrigley Field is one place you definitely won't want to miss. You can visit Navy Pier, which is basically a year round carnival that has rides, games, restaurants, shops, and even firework displays! While there, you will have fantastic views of the city and beautiful Lake Michigan. During the summer, you can enjoy a swim in the lake or tan on the beach with panoramic views of the city. Want a bird's eye view of the city? Visit the Willis Tower, the 110-story skyscraper! Additionally, you can check out the Cloud Gate, Museum of Science and Industry, the Chicago River Walk, Millenium Park, Abraham Lincoln's Home & Tomb, and the McDonald's #1 store museum.

4. Wisconsin

Wisconsin is home to many beautiful, natural landscapes. Be sure to check out Devil's Lake State Park, Cave of the Mounds, Blue Mound State Park, and Potawatomi State Park. There are also many unique museums such as the Harley-Davidson Museum, Circus World Museum, and the National Railroad Museum.

5. Michigan

Like Wisconsin, Michigan is home to many scenic natural landscapes, including some of the Great Lakes! While in Michigan, be sure to visit Lake Michigan, Lake Huron, Warren Dunes State Park Mackinac Island, Porcupine Mountains, Castle Rock, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, and Island Royale National Park. Don't feel like spending time outdoors? That's fine! There are plenty of interesting museums to check out including the Detroit Historical Museum, The Henry Ford, Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Gilmore Car Museum, and the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, just to name a few!

6. Indiana

Known for its famous race, the Indy 500, Indiana is home to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. However, other races take place there and there is also a museum, guided tours, and even a golf course! Not into racing? Check out White River State Park, the Indiana Central Canal, Marengo Cave, Conner Prairie, Turkey Run State Park, Clifty Falls State Park, and Brown County State Park.

7. Ohio

Ohio, also known as the Buckeye State has various interesting museums including the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the National Museum of the United States Air Force, the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, the American Sign Museum, and the Christmas Story House, where the popular film A Christmas Story was filmed! You can also check out Lake Erie, Columbus Zoo and Aquarium, Hocking Hills State Park, and Mohican State Park.

8. West Virginia

Like many of the other states, West Virginia has stunning landscapes and is filled with rich history. Be sure to check out Harper 's Ferry, which was home to John Brown's raid in the mid-1800s and where many Civil War battles took place. It also offers picturesque views of where the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers meet. You can also visit the West Virginia State Penitentiary, New River Gorge, Seneca Caverns, and Cathedral Falls!

9. Virginia

Home to the first colony in what is now the United States, Virginia is full of our nation's rich history. While in Virginia, you can visit Colonial Williamsburg where you can get a feel of what it was like to live in the colonies. Additionally, you can visit George Washington's Estate in Mount Vernon, which also offers beautiful views of the Potomac River. Many may think it is located in Washington D.C., but Arlington National Cemetary is in fact located in Virginia! You can tour the military cemetery and pay your respects to all those who made the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. Arlington National Cemetary is the final resting place of President John F. Kenned, his wife, and children and is marked by the Eternal Flame. Also located in Arlington National Cemetary is the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, which is guarded 24/7, 365 days a year, no matter the weather.

10. Maryland

Ever wonder where our National Anthem was written? While in Maryland, you can visit Fort McHerny where Francis Scott Key wrote the Star Spangled Banner during the War of 1812. Additionally, you can visit the Star-Spangled Banner Flag House, where the flag that inspired the National Anthem was sewn. You can also check out the National Aquarium, B & O Railroad Museum, Deep Creek Lake, the Baltimore Museum of Industry, Camden Yards, Baltimore's Inner Harbor, National Museum of Civil War Medicine, and Calvert Cliffs State Park.