The Amazon Rainforest Is On Fire, And It Should Not Be Taken Lightly

There are several ways to help this dangerous situation from all over the world.

15

Fires often start in the Amazon rainforest, especially during Brazil's dry seasons. The Amazon is normally wet and humid with moisture on a regular basis, but the months of July and August bring on the driest seasons. The Amazon rainforest has been fire for weeks now.

Sometimes, fires are utilized to eradicate part of the land for farming. Because the wildfires can be common, there was little reaction when fires started up again this year. However, there has been a significant increase in the number of fires that caught in 2019 compared to 2018, developing a deep-rooted concern for the safety of Brazil's people alongside the rainforest.

Brazil has called a state of emergency.

The Amazon, being the largest tropical rainforest in the world, continues to suffer from the flames. The rainforest has been burning for the past three weeks, it's smoke affecting other parts of the country and even reaching areas of São Paulo. This past Monday, Sao Paulo experienced a blackout due to the smoke from the rainforest fire, even though it is over 1,700 miles away.

The smoke from the fire can even be seen from space due to the increasing growth of the rainforest fire. On a normal basis, the trees within the Amazon take in rainwater and release it into the air, making for an effective recycling strategy for water. This rainfall routine keeps agriculture effective in Brazil while keeping its residents happy and healthy. This routine may come to an abrupt halt if a solution to this global problem does not prevail.

Deforestation is rapidly increasing in the Amazon. Trees disappear constantly, making it difficult for the moisture to maintain itself in the area.

Brazil's National Institute for Space Research (INPE) reported that there has been an 88% surge in deforestation in the Amazon alone, leaving the Amazon and the global environment in great danger. If too many trees disappear in the rainforest, the moisture will decrease as well. The rainforest will lose vegetation, causing the remaining trees to dry out and become more susceptible to fire, thus leading to the widespread fires attacking the Amazon today. Losing the Amazon would mean losing clean drinking water.

The president of Brazil, Jair Bolsonaro, has recently been criticized due to his lack of concern over the Amazon's growing wildfire. He believes non-governmental organizations may be behind the wildfires. He suspects they purposely began the fire as a form of revenge to get back at the government after he ceased their funding.

Despite this theory, people are angry. Keeping the Amazon Rainforest alive is a key component to fighting the oncoming climate change that may soon affect the entire nation. If these rainforest fires continue to grow, more greenhouse gases will be emitted into the air. The overall temperature of the planet will rise as well, which will also cause more droughts around the world. Climate change is inevitable if the fire continues to burn.

More than 20% of the world's oxygen is contributed to the Amazon. The world will change substantially if the rainforest disappears.

Due to social media, the Amazon rainforest fire has gained a large amount of attention over the past three weeks. Social media users developed several trending hashtags to increase global awareness, and some people even protested in their local areas around the world.

There are multiple ways to help protect the rainforest. Reduce the consumption of beef products, reduce paper or wood usage, and contact local elected officials. Sign petitions in favor of Brazil and the rainforest. Donate to foundations constructed specifically for climate change and the safety of the Amazon. These changes, despite how little, will make big changes for the Amazon.