I Am Catholic, But I Am Not...

I Am Catholic, But I Am Not...

Don't let the stereotypes get you down!

331
I Am Catholic, But I Am Not...

Catholicism is an identity that is not normally discussed among college students. I think it is really important to express your identity, whatever it may be.

Being Catholic, like any religion or identity, has stereotypes that follow it. I believe that religions and belief systems can be tailored to anyone. I asked college-aged Catholics to finish the following sentences in hopes of showing a deeper side to the people behind the faith.

I am Catholic, but I am not...

1. Conservative.

Dude, same. That's a huge misconception I get all the time. Just because I'm Catholic, doesn't mean I lean to the right.

2. a goody two shoes.

3. judgmental.

Matthew 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged." PREACH.

4. Confirmed.

It's your faith journey. Own it. You're on nobody's time but His.

5. a virgin.

6. closed-minded.

7. judgmental of anyone who isn't Catholic.

I can't tell you how many non-Catholic or even non-Christian people I'm friends with.

8. a prude who doesn't know anything, hasn't experienced anything, and can't make a joke.

9. a "bigot" who refuses to listen to and understand other people's views.

10. a Jesus freak.

11. closed-minded.

12. misguided.

13. hate-filled.

14. the stereotype that society has put on me and my religion.

100% agree with you on that. If I tell people my views, the last thing they expect is for me to be Catholic. If I tell people my religion, the last thing they expect is my views.

15. on the same side as some Church policies.

I honestly struggle with this one a lot. I want to believe my Church is doing the best they can for society, but I question a lot of the policies in place.

16. very open about it in public. I mention it sometimes to others, but I don't talk about it too much.

That's okay! I can honestly understand that, too. That's why I made this article. Everyone's relationship with God and their religion is personal and, quite frankly, their own business and no one else's.

And now, my favorite answers.

17. in agreement with the many “Catholics” who promote hatred and discrimination towards people, like the LGBT community and people of different races.

18. Homophobic.

19. a homophobe.

20. against gay marriage. I think everyone has the right to love whoever they want.

21. judging people based on their Sexual Orientation.

All of these: YES. We are all called to love our neighbor. We are all called to not judge others. We are all children of God. I don't care if you're white, black, purple, green, yellow, rainbow, etc. He made us all in His image and likeness. We all should be treated as such.

I am Catholic and I am...

1. loving.

2. respectful of everyone's opinions.

3. still believing in my faith.

4. a believer that God makes you who you are for a reason, and you shouldn’t feel ashamed of who you are because He made you that way.

'Cause baby, I was born this way!

5. a firm believer in treating everyone with respect, even if they don’t agree with me.

6. proud of my faith.

7. funny.

8. going to share my views (in a respectful way).

9. a woman. The Church does not threaten my femininity. If anything, it encourages me to embrace it.

Yes! That's an awesome way to look at it.

10. someone who is willing to explain the Church's teachings in a loving way, and walk with anyone who wants to join the journey of following Christ.

Always. Always. Always. Sometimes there's this stereotype that Catholics only keep to themselves. If anything, we want you to come experience what we are experiencing through Christ.

11. imperfect.

12. accepting of everyone no matter what their background, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc. is.

13. kind.

14. someone that genuinely loves and cares about every other person in the world, despite their flaws and mistakes.

15. a Christian (There is a misconception that Catholics are not Christians... but we are!).

Glad I'm not the only one who runs into this! Yes, Catholics are Christian, too. We believe in Christ and follow the same book every other Christian denomination follows.

16. an advocate for love.

17. proud to be one.

18. practicing.

Keep it up! I heard the craziest statistic the other day that only 20% of Catholics are practicing.

19. loved.

20. a good person. I try to be true to Catholic beliefs with my thoughts and actions.

21. proud to be a part of the LGBT+ community.

You've got more support than you know. We're on your side.

22. a sinner.

Being Catholic is not always easy, but it's who we are. Don't let the judgmental people, the stereotypes, or the secular life get in the way. Be the best you that you can be.