I Am Angry At MSU, But Also So Proud
Politics

I Am Angry At MSU, But Also So Proud

On one hand, I'm fuming at the Administration. On the other, I couldn't be more proud of the student body here.

452
I Am Angry At MSU, But Also So Proud
CBS

I really have a lot of pride in my school.

I love being a Spartan and the sense of community I feel from the other students here. We really are a community, despite having a gigantic campus. But, recently MSU has been facing a lot of criticism for the way Lou Anna K. Simon handled the continued employment of Larry Nassar.

In emails sent to students, she claimed to have an idea what was going on but was cooperating with the East Lansing P.D. and the F.B.I. while investigations were taken place. Then, Larry pleads guilty to the Criminal Sexual Conduct charges against him and goes to trial.

At this trial, Lou Anna K. Simon testifies that Mr. Nassar had been under investigation 12 different times between 1997 and 2015, with no conclusions made. Take that in for a second. He was under investigation 12 different times and she never questioned that maybe there was something going on. She continued his employment, which led to countless women being violated by Larry.

Michigan State has been in the news a lot for their involvement. They are being sued (rightfully so) and Lou Anna K. Simon announced she will be stepping down on January 24. I am profoundly disappointed in my school's administration and their active passivity to the claims of sexual assault against Larry Nassar. I am not, however, disappointed in the student body here at MSU.

We have stood up and protested what our school let happen. I am proud of how we came together and forced her resignation. We didn't let her stand behind lies and disingenuine promises. We fought back. We very clearly showed our disappointment at the Women's March in Lansing, we painted the rock. People wrote countless articles calling for her resignation.

What MSU allowed to happen is unforgivable. We are a mess right now. I hurt for the victims, am angry that the school I love let this happen, and I am proud of the women who stood up and testified these past weeks. I am disappointed and angry, but I think this shows progress is being made. We aren't allowing anyone to get away with this.

We are making our voices heard. So, despite the anger I feel at the administration of MSU, I am so proud to be a part of the student body that forced the President to step down and be held accountable for her actions. Her mistake was lying to us in countless emails.

Her mistake was not firing him the very first time he was under investigation.

Her mistake was thinking that we would let this go.

We are a diverse student body. We are strong and powerful when we come together for a common goal. I am proud to be a part of the student body here who believes in social justice and standing up for what's right. You got what was coming to you, Lou Anna K. Simon. You don't deserve to be the President of this University.