Why You Should Learn About Other Cultures

Why It Is Important To Learn About Other Cultures

The world around us is teaming with other cultures to explore, and the more we know about the world the more we enrich our own culture.

19
https://www.flickr.com/photos/glossyboy/3576956607/in/photolist-6s5QzD-9C3vvC-2fkNAwV-q4h34m-9ciLYi-fzfkuN-67FiFK-pWcSEj-aZKCdT-dxkD6D-nos9Q3-p4vmvh-6QQVeS-7uST1P-dMAbse-CWRjX-b5jbf2-qbmi8k-gmh4E9-2b9kEr1-9f3vBi-oUtGbV-9TcMaB-s1C7Vo-nqYT6J-syTCS1-jViPMF-e6MYjj-sepqtN-5gtXVX-kfVBet-vwmSox-sqhfWR-fKthCi-rWBAkX-BArobz-CgREtr-9Mxw1E-fmRLfe-7uJzyS-oX2Rtu-YRHyLj-YzFZR2-8T1u12-Hq2GxT-iENx1g-6uacCu-q1vxQi-fuw1V6-RVAVvp

The world around us is so diverse. It is important to make sure that we introduce ourselves to other cultures, so we can grow as world citizens

First of all, the food around the world is amazing. An easy way to connect with other people is over food. There is something so special about being able to bound over a meal with people. Food has the power to overcome language barriers and bring opposite cultures together.

I knew this girl who went to my school a couple of years ago. Her family was from El Salvador. Me being an awkward middle schooler I asked if I could sit with her at lunch. We talked about our food, and she was even kind enough to share with me. This allowed me the awkward seventh grader to make a friend while also learning about Salvadorian customs and culture.
Another reason I believe other cultures should be taught to everyone is so conflict could be avoided. Some problems would fade away like dust if we knew the reasons behind people's actions. If you are not sure about something the kindest thing you could do is just ask a question.

A girl in one of my classes freshman year transferred to my school from Saudi Arabia. She had a strange accent and she wore a hijab. These things confused me so I was afraid at first to go up to this girl and make conversation. Then one day I drew upon the courage of Captain America, my favorite superhero, and went to introduce myself. The girl was so kind as to answer my questions about her life in Saudi Arabia and her faith. This difficult conversation allowed me to make a friend.
I have been blessed to get to know people from all over this world. Other cultures have seeped into my life and I believe I have become more well rounded because of it. While history books do not always give us the stories of other cultures I would encourage everyone to go out and search for it! There are some amazing shows to help inform people of what it is like in other countries, or you could pick up our bags and travel.

Travel is my personal favorite way to get to know other cultures. It allows my world view to be shaped by what is going on around me. Whether London and its classical literature calls your name, Argentina and the tango dancing summons you, or Thailand with its marvelous temples I highly recommend travel.

Other cultures make up our entire population so why not get to know the parts of the mixing pot we know as the world. It will be a rewarding adventure.