I'm gonna be real with you. I was starting to give up on Netflix originals. After flops like "Sierra Burgess Is A Loser" and "The Perfect Date," I was convinced that the online streaming site no longer knew how to produce creative yet successful romantic comedies. But when I saw that Randall Park from "Fresh Off The Boat" was being cast in the next Netflix original movie, I knew I had to give it a shot.

And I'm so glad I did. Nowadays, it's becoming harder and harder to produce rom-coms that are fresh and original. And even the ones that manage to go off of the standard tale are rarely executed properly. There was nothing extravagant about "Always Be My Maybe," and yet that may have been what made it so memorable. No flashy displays of love or over-the-top characters. It was a story of two lifelong friends who realized that they belonged together, regardless of how long it took.

What was great about this movie was that it redefined the idea of a "normal" couple.

Here were two first-generation Asians growing up in America, immersing themselves in both cultures and redefining what it means to be an Asian-American. In an age where representation is so important, this film made diversity the expectation.

We've somehow labeled the Caucasian heterosexual couple as the norm, and this movie demonstrates that there are many different types of normal. The main characters and supporting characters weren't all white or straight, and it's time we started seeing diversity as the norm. Nahnatchka Khan so seamlessly blended Asian culture into the film while also shying away from the typical Asian stereotypes, which is a hard feat to accomplish. Here was a movie that warmed my heart because it didn't need to go above and beyond in order to be special.

The charm of "Always Be My Maybe" lies in its simplicity and in the chemistry between the two main leads. It's not only a story of love, but one of family, culture, and self-fulfillment. To anyone who hasn't yet seen it, please do yourselves a favor and go check it out. You won't regret it.