Alicia Garza Took Over Selena Gomez's Instagram To Speak On Black Lives Matter

Alicia Garza Took Over Selena Gomez's Instagram To Discuss Black Lives Matter, Here's What I Learned

These voices need to be heard, and Selena Gomez is providing that platform.

2359

In light of everything going on in the world around us, Selena Gomez has decided to let influential black leaders take over her Instagram to share their message and to give them a platform to amplify their voices. It kicked off on June 5 with Alicia Garza.

Alicia Garza is a co-founder of the Black Lives Matter movement, and she runs the Black Futures Lab. She works to make black leaders powerful in the world of politics.

Garza wanted to emphasize one main concept in her Instagram takeover: it takes everybody.

Change isn't going to happen if only one person speaks up. As a nation, we have to do better and work together to advocate for the black people who are losing their lives at the hands of police officers every single day based on their skin color.

She works to inform people and educate people about what her reality and so many others' realities look like on a day to day basis through speaking up and speaking out. (Oh yeah, you should also go vote for a candidate in November that actually promotes and inspires change.)

Garza reminded me, just like my black friends have, that now is not the time for anyone to be silent because silence is a way of siding with the oppressor... even if you don't mean to do so. Even church leaders are speaking out about the systematic racism in this country because it's not a political issue, it's a human issue.

Black lives are fighting for their lives right now, and every time I hear a member of the black community speak about it, it only further confirms this harsh but true reality.

This isn't a game, this isn't a story, it's reality.

You can view Garza's full video below as well as gain access to the resources she shared during her takeover.

Black Lives Matter

Black Futures Lab Main Page

Answering White People's Most Commonly Asked Questions about the Black Lives Matter Movement

Garza also recommends following the two Instagram accounts below to get involved in work that supports the fight for racial justice.

To follow Garza's account, please go to the link below: