Aladdin Sane: A Complex Masterpiece

Aladdin Sane: A Complex Masterpiece

Breaking down the album that made me realize what it means to truly be an artist

75
Aladdin Sane: A Complex Masterpiece

When I was about 16 years old, I stumbled upon a compilation album of David Bowie's works from the years 1969-1974. I discovered around this time that I loved anything "vintage" - more specifically the yellowed memories of the 70's and it's mesmerizing culture. So, as I began my quest to tap into these things I found so beautiful, I stumbled upon the great Ziggy Stardust. You know him as the glam-rock alien with a wry smile that lit up the seventies with his gleaming red platforms and electrifying stage persona. As I explored further, however, there was a distraction from this whirlwind of neons and stars. The somber piano and swaying vocals and coos of "Aladdin Sane", the 50's-reminiscent do-do-dahs and saxophone of "Drive-In Saturday", even the lighthearted cooing and soaring guitar and violin combo of "The Prettiest Star" drew me in. These songs had different characters and complex stories, something that drew me in quickly. All of these songs came from the staple album, Aladdin Sane, which will always have a special place in my heart. This album made me realize his complexity, and how much of an anomaly his creative vision truly was. So, as my first entry to Odyssey, I thought I would break down this album song by song. To be quite honest, part of this is for my own enjoyment, but I also hope that this influences whoever is reading this to give the album a listen. Also, just a precursor, these are my thoughts and opinions towards these songs, I am not at all insinuating that these are correct interpretations, The fact of the matter is that much of David Bowie's music is purposefully vague, and how you view it is purely up to you. So, without further ado, here is a track by track breakdown of Aladdin Sane.

1. "Watch That Man" - We start with an upbeat, swanky guitar riff and the pounding of piano keys that brilliantly sets the pace and energy for the rest of the musical joyride that is Aladdin Sane. This song's rapid pace and flashy lyrics such as "Shaking like a leaf" makes it feel like a chaotic adrenaline rush, a rapid taxi chase through the streets of New York City
  2. "Aladdin Sane" - Coming off of the electric thrill that was "Watch That Man", this song almost immediately extinguishes that rush and replaces it with a sense of unease, as we are welcomed in with a few chilling piano notes and crescendos and guitar strums. It's easy to feel the insanity that the title of the album alludes to, with an air of drama that really only Bowie could pull off. The drawn out coos and chaotic piano solo to end this song leaves a sense of nervousness, a paranoia that lingers.
  3. "Drive-In Saturday" - Good grief I love this song. I remember the first time I heard this, I thought I had accidentally switched over to the Grease soundtrack, because it's just so strange compared to his normal sound (which I guess is unfair to assume that Bowie has a normal sound, because I mean, come on.) What a weird little gem, with a weirder story. In this song, Bowie explores the possibility that one day, couples may become so sterilized that they are unable to understand what intimacy is and resort to watching pornography to educate themselves. Yeah I know, what the hell David, but when you take this message and the sound of this song, it seems as if he is poking fun at how uptight society seemed to be during the 50's towards the subjects of sex and relationships. Through the chorus, he describes the typical played out scenario of a couple awkwardly making "moves" on each other, but a certain charm and sweetness comes through with it that makes this song unbelievably warm, for lack of a better term.
  4. "Panic In Detroit" - Okay, to be completely honest, I've spent a good bit reading over the lyrics and I have no clue what he's on about here, but apparently they come from Iggy Pop's own experiences with the 1967 Detroit riots, which is understandable given the spirited and passionate feel this song carries, accented by the congo beats and the riffs of the background vocalists. This song carries an electricity similar to "Watch That Man", but also has a stranger side that can be best described as, well, panicked.
  5. "Cracked Actor" - Ah, here it is. In my opinion, the crème de la crème of Aladdin Sane. This is definitely one of my favorite songs by him, for so many reasons. This song follows the story of a burnt out actor using his fame to leverage women and men, a topic all too familiar given revelations from the #MeToo movement. This song is brutal, with frank and blunt lyrics such as "Forget that I'm fifty, cause you just got paid" as a harmonica trills on and on. This song is dramatic and brutal on it's own, but the way he performed this on stage made it especially sharp. He would dress in sunglasses and a cape, singing to a skull in true Hamlet fashion, and in some performances had a stage hand slam a clapperboard in front of him before kicking off the song. He wanted to portray the typical egotistical burnt out star, and did it in true flamboyant fashion.
  6. "Time" - Continuing the artistic and dramatic flair from "Cracked Actor", this was another song known for its stage presence. It contains a certain burlesque undertone that accents it as one of the most unique songs on the album, personifying time and counting the misfortunes it brings. A shocking tune, this song keeps listeners on edge as Bowie repeatedly directly addresses the audience and literally screeches into the microphone at one point.
  7. "The Prettiest Star" - An affectionate serenade, this is a nice light tune that carries a sugary sweet tone. This is a less intense track compared to the other songs on the album, but is reminiscent of "Drive-In Saturday" as it also carries a sound that can only be attributed to 50's soda shops and drive-ins. A breezy track with a catchy soulful hook, "The Prettiest Star" is a welcome pause to the rampant current that is this album.
  8. "Let's Spend The Night Together" - Aaaand we're back to electric! The song opens up to what seems to be the sound of a ray-gun warming up to be fired, and continues to carry a pace similar to "Panic In Detroit" and "Watch That Man". This is his take on The Rolling Stone's classic hit, transforming it into an over-the-top glam rock bop.
  9. "The Jean Genie" - One of the more famous songs from this album, "The Jean Genie" carries a western saloon kind of feel, showcasing how deep Bowie had ventured into studying American blues and it's roots. This is a laid back catchy tune with sultry guitar chords that make this an instant hit.
  10. "Lady Grinning Soul"- This is another one of my personal favorites, and it manages to close off this whirlwind of an album on a mysterious, seductive note, one that leaves you itching for more of this music. It speaks of a mystical woman that is described as "your living end", it's a subtly beautiful song to round out the enigma that is Aladdin Sane.