Millennials Can't Read Maps

Millennials Can't Read Maps

And memes don't cast votes in the age of technology.

565
Millennials Can't Read Maps

Technology has taken over today’s society in ways that weren't imaginable years ago... in the 90’s. In today’s day, we can’t function without Google answering our homework problem or Siri locating the nearest coffee shop with the touch of a button. While our grandparents can’t figure out how to text on an iPhone, our generation can’t figure out how to read a map. Oh, how times have changed!

We wake up to the alarm ringing in our ears and the first thing that we check is our cell phone that is lying on our side table. Snapchat, messages, Facebook, Instagram, countless things that we feel the need to check as soon as we awaken. It’s as if we can’t function throughout the day without being virtually connected to our friends and family. We might not see them for days, but that’s okay as long as we’re in touch through social media! No effort is needed to actually have a physical interaction like the old days, we’re way too modern for that.

Next, we head to our destination, whatever it may be, school or work, and begin working on our assignments. Once again with the help of Google we can complete them with much more accuracy than we would have with our very own brains. Then after being exhausted from sitting in one spot and finishing countless hours of copy and paste, we order food online and have Postmates deliver it to us so that we won’t have to commit to any unnecessary physical activity. Hover-boards are the latest invention that will ease the pain of walking from place to place. My parents often tell me that they had to walk miles just to get an education; luckily we have cars and now there are cars that even drive themselves! It looks like soon we won’t need driver’s education. Clear the roads people; cars will be driving humans around!

From now on, technology will only advance. Soon, our generation will be outdated and a new generation will be born with much more technological skills than hard and soft skills. Doctors will learn how to complete sutures in medical school, however robotic hands will take over their jobs because they complete sutures much more precisely. Accountants will just have to read over a company’s assets and liabilities, when in fact a software has already done their job for them. Are these accountants even needed anymore? Is any profession even needed anymore when technology itself has become a profession?

Nothing can be done to stop this advance in technology; however what we can do is take advantage of this technology. Rather than surfing the Internet to illegally download the latest movies, we can learn about our political candidates so that we are aware of who is the best fit for our country, the events and issues taking place around the globe that may or may not lead to more controversy, crimes and injustice faced by several races, religions, and genders worldwide and much more. We have access to so much information, yet we chose to stay uninformed and are clueless when asked about why we want a certain candidate to win the presidency. Lets be real, the only reason you want Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton over Trump is because of the memes posted all over Twitter and Tumblr. It’s not that I doubt their qualifications and capabilities, (with Trump as an exception because he is delusional and will never have my support) but it might be a smart idea to do your research so that you are aware of the reforms that they are presenting for your country.

Now get on the web and become informed of your surroundings, you may be able to bring a positive change to your world of technology!