9 College Friendly Recipes That Are Easy, Affordable, And Tasty

Ditch the take out and meal plan and utilize that kitchen to your full advantage.

72
Chinh Le Duc

If you are a college student or anyone who is on a budget and on a timestamp, these recipes are the perfect and hearty quick fixes to your nightly meals. Not only do they provide nutrition, but some are the comfort foods that we crave from time to time.

1. Classic Spaghetti

For pasta lovers, this dish can be made with minced chicken, pork, or beef, or even meat-free. The ingredients are affordable and the wait time is that of a 30-minute meal granted you purchase fast cooking pasta. It may not come out to restaurant quality, but a recipe comes out how you make it. Feel free to add a veggie to this dish, along with multiple kinds of cheese, and even fresh herbs to brighten up your taste palette.

2. Brown Sugar Bacon

For those breakfast or bacon junkies, this side dish can be made in the oven when getting ready for class, work, or your day. And for those innovative short cutters, like myself sometimes, this can even be made in the microwave. Crispy, quick, low mess, and tasty. This can be paired and crumbled over fresh fruits like strawberries, mango, and even pineapple, or for tradition's sake with toast, Pancakes, or toaster Eggo Waffles (my personal favorite).

3. Baked Mac And Cheese

If you're into cheese as much as you're into dogs, then baked mac and cheese will not only give you comfort but a crispy cheesy crust that you can't get enough of. You can add bacon, shrimp, sausage, extra cheese, or even lobster or crab if your wallet grants you the opportunity. It is a quick dish that can be made with kraft boxed mac and cheese, homemade mac and cheese, or even pasta noodles for experienced cooks that want to shake things up. This recipe may require a higher skill set and more time, but it is nothing that can't be done while multitasking or completing quick errands. You can pop this in the oven while completing laundry, studying, or semester assignments.

4. Chicken Stir-fry

Not only is this a cheap treat, but the time it takes to make is just 30 minutes. Veggies, meat, and teriyaki sauce on rice is just the alternative to buying Chinese food that every budget friendly college student needs. You can add or take out ingredients from this dish, and even add Asian sesame ginger dressing to give it a kick in flavor. It's a very clean dish to make and also produces fewer dishes to wash after you are finished making your meal.

5. Quick Salmon and Garlic potatoes

Salmon can be found for cheap depending on where you buy it, whether it's frozen or thawed, and the amount you buy. Salmon is very easy to cook as it can be seasoned with simple ingredients such as salt, pepper, pepper flakes, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder. Potatoes are easy to boil and sauté and can be paired with lots of green veggies.

6. Chicken Wonton Tacos.

Wontons can be found at Walmart, Publix, key food, or Target depending on the state or area you live in. This can be bought for $4 max and vary in sizes. You can make it into an egg roll or into small bite-sized eats that are flavorful and quick. I personally like to keep it simple by adding chicken, onions, garlic, and Asian sesame ginger sauce for the filling, but you can feel free to add more items if you'd like. This is a twist on the Applebees chicken wonton tacos.

7. Quick Chicken Parmesan

For the Italians out there, chicken parmesan is the perfect meal away from home, the ingredients are cheap, and chicken is fast and easy to cook, especially when breaded. This recipe puts a twist on the oven baked tradition and can be done in under 30 minutes if you're in a dinner rush.

8. Pasta Salad

Pasta salad is a fresh and quick way to a fulfilling and healthy meal. Not only can it be eaten by itself, but can be paired with baked chicken, breaded chicken breast, seafood, or even pork chops. It is a healthy way to eat pasta, away from the traditional sauce and cheese ration, and the ingredients are very affordable. You can add or delete ingredients and make this dish tailored to your liking.

9. Crunchy chicken fingers

For finger food lovers like myself, this simple and crispy dish says hello to your taste buds and to your cheat day, and goodbye to that diet for one day. It is crunchy, flavorful, and easy to make even for the worst of cooks. It can be eaten with comfort foods like mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, or french fries that you can find in the freezer section.